• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash profile help needed

Wyoast229

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I need some help setting up my mash process in beersmith 3, I typically mash in, let it rest at temp, drain then figure out what temp my sparge water needs to be to bring my temp up to say 168 from mash temp say 150 to get to my pre boil volume. I dont see a pre set profile in there that calculates this for me where it will calculate the sparge water temp and volume needed. Any help on how to set this up will be greatly appreciated.

All of the profiles which call for an infusion and a sparge step do this.  It may not be apparent from the profile itself, as the details of how much water and the temperature are calculated within the recipe and based upon the temperatures of the mash tun, its weight, the grain weight and temperature, and the mash temperature.  When applied in a recipe, you can look at the mash tab and note the mash steps in the dialog box and then underneath that will be the sparge instructions. 

The thing to note are the mash profiles provided give you a starting point and you can modify any of the mash profiles or construct a new one to represent how YOU want to conduct the mash.  The grain weight basis within a mash profile is best set to a typical or average grain bill for one of your recipes.  The program will use this to give you some sort of idea of water balance when constructing the profile, but this will be scaled when applied to a specific recipe for the weights contained within that recipe. 

You will want to look at two key things to make sure it fits your process.  First, since you drain the mash tun and then add your sparge water you want to reflect this in your mash profile by clicking under the batch sparge section to 'drain mash tun before sparging'.  Next is to make sure that you have the box for 'adjust temp for equip' on the mash tab of your recipe checked so that the program takes into account the weight, temperature and specific heat of your mash tun in order to correctly calculate the temperature drop to heat this equipment up to achieve the proper mash temp.

Lastly, do not overlook updating the 'mash tun temperature' and the 'grain temp' on the mash tab to get an updated strike temperature on the day you brew.  While you can set these in the mash profile, I find that seasonality and weather takes precedence over my ideal temperatures. 

What Oginme said if you're fly sparging. If you batch sparge, just heat the sparge water up to 175 or 180 and call it good. It won't change the outcome at all.

when you select mash profile, there's one that says "Single infusion, ____ Body, Batch Sparge"

that'll tell you the batch sparge specifics if you wanna do it that way.

Back