• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash step order bug?

WhiteWhale

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I?m not sure if this is a "bug" or if I am using Beersmith 3.1 Desktop in the wrong way?

This is what one of my Mash Profiles could look like:

1. Infusion step "Mash in": Add x water at y temperature...
  2. Temperature Step: Heat to x over y minutes...

If I close the app and open it again, the order of the mash steps are reversed.
Not a super big deal, but shouldn?t Beersmith remember in which order I have put my steps?

Thanks for a very nice app!

What are the specific temperatures you are trying to get to?  One thing that BeerSmith does is it defaults the steps to a continuing rise in temperature, so that if you try to do a reverse temperature step (i.e. mash at 156F and then lower the temperature to 148F) it will swap the steps to do the 148F rest first.

Hi,
The program will automatically sort steps into increasing temperature order - in part to prevent it generating "negative" mash volume infusions.  Most systems are not designed to cool/lower temps during the mash.

Brad

OK, that?s the problem then.
I usually loose 2 C over an hour and had set a temperature step to decrease from 67 to 65.
I will work around it.

Ignore those small temp losses. (almost) Everyone experiences a few degrees of temp loss over the length of the mash and I honestly don't know of anyone who factors that into their mash schedule. Your mash conversion is for all intents and purposes complete within the first half hour anyway.

Back