• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Temp Calculation Problem

The Beer Dad

New Forum Member
Reaction score
HI All:

I'm doing my first batch of beer after 30+ years of not brewing.

I am making a 1 gallon batch (into the fermenter) for practice. I am trying to calculate the mash water Strike Temperature and have used BrewGr and BeerSmith.

I am getting significantly different strike temperatures and need some seasoned advice. I have attached the output from each program.

What Strike Temp should I use for 2.2 pounds of grain with a single infusion mash????

I like BrewGr as it tells me the quantity of my first runnings and my sparge volume requirement.

But Beer Smith is so far off with it's Strike Temp. I thought that I entered the profile of all of my brewing and mash equipment into Beer Smith.

Can anyone shed some light on this? - thank you for your help

Attachments

• BeerSmithAlaskanAle04192023.pdf
    135.1 KB · Views: 4
  • BrewGrAlaskanAmberAle04192023.pdf
    296.2 KB · Views: 2
Some of the online calculators don’t account for equipment thermal loss. This can create a delta between what BeerSmith recommends and what another calculation will recommend.

What I do: Heat the strike liquor to my desired mash temp. Mash in. The resulting temp will be lower than my mash temp but will be in the β amylase range so I heat the mash to my desired mash temp. After a 60 minute mash I increase temp again to my mash out temp. So, in a way, I do a three step mash every brewday.

Last edited:
Back