• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Matching water profile wont add Epson Salt

Jimilu

Apprentice
Reaction score
In the video tutorial for water, when Brad matches his water profile to another one, beersmith adds  Gypsum, Epson Salt and Calcium Chloride. However, when i do tha,t beermith won?t add Epson Salt, even though i have it in my inventory. I already restarted the software and my laptop. Any ideas how to resolve this?

What is your base water profile as compared to your target composition?  If you are already at or higher than your target, the program will not add more.

I never used the water tools in BS2, but can tell you that some of the profilesin BS3 do add Epsom salt. Hoppy Pale ale is one that does for sure. Generally, your grist will have adequate Magnesium. The only reason I add Epsom salt is when I want more Sulfate without adding Calcium.

I use RO water, si i need to add magnesium. But beersmith wont add it my itseld, it cas to be manually.

So, can I assume that your water content for Mg is set to a value of 0?  And what is your target value?  I get that the program is not adding Epsom salts, but without some type of information on what you are trying to accomplish, there is no way I can offer any help.

As I said previously, the grist almost always provides plenty of Magnesium for yeast health. BeerSmith does add MgSo4(Epsom Salt) to some water profiles as needed. The main reason for this is to increase Sulfate without also increasing Calcium. If you insist on adding Epsom salts to other water profiles you can do it manually. BeerSmith provides you this, as well as many other options.

Every brewer has their preferences, neither good nor bad. BeerSmith gives us all the ability to exercise those preferences.

Back