• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

messina cristalli di sale

spaten66

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi i am looking for help here, new to beersmith as well, my daughter has returned from Sicily and i was looking to try to make a clone of this beer, can anyone help or know of a recipe out there? thanks

Sounds like a nice beer, highly rated at 9/10 by some..As far as I can tell from descriptions online, all pale malt with some optional flaked wheat or similar for haze and hop like a Pilsner with "citrusy", "lemon", "lime" hops. Maybe a combination of Saaz and Aurora with a little Cascade. A pinch of sea salt to taste in the keg or glass.

Edit: I'd mash high, 67-68°C, to get a little more body that quality lagers often have. Mashing low to maximise fermentability is more about ethanol production in big "green bottle" breweries. Don't be afraid to mash higher.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for that. I'll give it a try. I am not that great a creating recipes and I appreciate all the advice I can get

Sounds like a nice beer, highly rated at 9/10 by some..As far as I can tell from descriptions online, all pale malt with some optional flaked wheat or similar for haze and hop like a Pilsner with "citrusy", "lemon", "lime" hops. Maybe a combination of Saaz and Aurora with a little Cascade. A pinch of sea salt to taste in the keg or glass.

Edit: I'd mash high, 67-68°C mobile welding atlanta, to get a little more body that quality lagers often have. Mashing low to maximise fermentability is more about ethanol production in big "green bottle" breweries. Don't be afraid to mash higher.
  1. Gather Information: Try to gather as much information as you can about the beer your daughter brought back. Look for details such as the style of the beer (IPA, Lager, Stout, etc.), its color, bitterness, alcohol content, and any distinctive flavors or aromas.
  2. Ingredients: Based on the style and flavor profile of the beer, you can choose the appropriate malt, hops, yeast, and any additional additives or spices. You can search for similar styles within BeerSmith's ingredient database or use ones you have on hand.
  3. Grain Bill: Using the malt information from your gathered details, you can create a grain bill. Adjust the proportions of different malts to match the expected color and flavor of the beer.
  4. Hops: Determine the hop varieties and the timing of their additions (bittering, flavor, aroma). This will affect the bitterness and aroma of the final beer.
  5. Yeast: The yeast used in the original beer is crucial for achieving similar flavor and aroma characteristics. Choose a yeast strain that matches the style and profile of the Sicilian beer.
  6. Mash Schedule: Set up the appropriate mash schedule to achieve the desired body and mouthfeel. This can include temperature rests and mash times.
  7. Fermentation: Follow the fermentation temperature and schedule that is appropriate for the chosen yeast strain. This will impact the yeast's flavor production and overall fermentation quality.
  8. Water Profile: Depending on the style of beer, the water profile can be important. Adjust your water composition to match the style's requirements.
  9. Additional Ingredients: If there were any unique ingredients in the original beer (such as local fruits, herbs, or spices), consider adding them to your recipe.
  10. Brewing Process: Use BeerSmith to input all the above information and create your recipe. The software will calculate important parameters such as estimated OG (Original Gravity), FG (Final Gravity), IBU (International Bitterness Units), and color.
  11. Brew and Adjust: Brew your clone recipe according to your process. After brewing, take detailed notes on the flavor, aroma, color, and overall characteristics of the beer. This will help you fine-tune the recipe if necessary for future batches.
Remember, creating a clone recipe might require a few iterations and adjustments to get it just right. Don't be afraid to experiment and make tweaks based on your tasting notes.

Lastly, while I can't provide a specific recipe due to my knowledge cutoff, I hope these general guidelines help you get started on your journey to create a delicious clone of the Sicilian beer your daughter brought back!

Back