• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Metric vs 'English' units

schmadam

Apprentice
Reaction score
I appreciate that this is a little pedantic but it's fooled me on a couple of occasions. Perhaps I'm a little stoopid ;)

Over here in England we almost all use metric measurements. It's only my grandma that still uses pounds and ounces to measure things. I'm not saying imperial units are outdated, just that our membership of the European Union has pushed us towards metric. So it seems a little odd, both on the desktop version of Beersmith and the mobile app, to choose between metric and 'English' units. If the worry is that some might not understand what metric/imperial means then how about g/L vs oz/pints or something like that to make it clearer?

I think that is a good idea. Especially when even Imperial and US Measurements are different.

Metric 1 Liter = US 2.113 fluid pt = Imperial 1.7598 pt

schmadam said:
It's only my grandma that still uses pounds and ounces to measure things.

And that's precisely the point.

With the interest in historic recipes, the old imperial measurements crop up every now and again. By having these available, it's much easier to convert them to metric.

Of course, I'm not saying do away with Imperial, I'm just saying it's confusing and illogical to refer to them as 'English' units.

It doesn't say English for Imperial. It says English for US.

Sorry, my mistake - English is US LOL. Exactly what I find confusing, but I realise (realize  ;)) that it's not unique to Beersmith. FWIW the app only has options to 'Set to Metric' or 'Set to English', which was the source of my confusion in the first place.

What I am saying is that neither US units (pints, gallons etc.) nor Imperial units (different pints, gallons etc.) can be described as English in the modern world. Both derive from the English system of weights and measures that dates from before 1824 but neither is the same as that old English system. So, for completeness, we have Metric (L), US (gal) and Imperial (Gal).

schmadam said:
Both derive from the English system of weights and measures that dates from before 1824 but neither is the same as that old English system.

I miss Cubits.

brewfun said:
I miss Cubits.

I calculate everything in tots.  I usually brew 271 tot batches.  I typically serve in 6 tots at a time.

Back