• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Milk Sugar Decreases Est Final Gravity

vortex

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am doing Jamil's Milk Stout Recipe Triple X and noticed that the Est Final Gravity was not coming up anywhere near what his was.  It came up as 1.010 and it should be near 1.022.

I noticed that when I removed the Milk Sugar (Lactose) that the Est Final Gravity went up to 1.012 and when I added it back in it went back down to 1.010. This seemed to be the case with the After Boil check box checked on the ingredient also.

Milk Sugar added at the end of the boil is not fermentable and should increase the gravity significantly when 2# is added to a 11 gallon batch.

Beersmith does not calculate lactose additions accurately when using regular brewers yeast. 

However, some strains of wild yeast and bacteria will ferment lactose and the beer will finish a lot closer to what the software predicts with several months of fermentation.

A possible solution is to create a new ingredient category for lactose AND maltodextrin where you can independently specify SG and % yield for an ingredient.

Currently maltodextrin is in the misc category and adds nothing to the SG which is false.

Can we get a bug fix for both lactose, and maltodextrose?

This is a known bug that will supposedly be addressed in an upcoming release.

Sorry to raise the dead, but this still seems to be the case in Beersmith as of version 2.3.7. Any chance of a fix?

Back