• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My first starter

Optimus Prime

Apprentice
Reaction score
My next batch is a high gravity wit. The calculator says my smack pack is not enough and I need to grow more yeast. It says 2L of starter is enough.

Question 1: as I watch videos, I see a lot of people making smaller starters, and each day increase the size of it until they have what they need. Is this necessary? Or can I simply start with 2L of water and the appropriate amount of DME and call it a day?

Question 2: if I am not trying to stick to matching a particular style, is there any reason not to start with the starter wort to finish filling to 5 gallons? Otherwise, I need to buy another bag of DME.

Thanks for your feedback.

To answer your questions in order:

Question 1:  Generally, people will start with a smaller starter when they have only a very small amount of yeast to build from.  If you are working with 50 to 100 billion cells from a typical pitch of Wyeast or White Labs, you will have enough to go straight to a 2 liter starter. 

Question 2:  Pitching the full starter volume is a matter of personal preference.  Generally, I make my starters well in advance and cold crash them to decant most of the starter beer off the yeast cake.  I am also overbuilding my starters to save some of the yeast cells for teh next brew.  If you go for a vitality starter, you are making your starter just 12 hours give or take from the time you need to pitch it and then pitching the whole starter wort, beer and yeast into the carboy with the freshly made wort when the starter is at high krausen. 

My next batch is a high gravity wit. The calculator says my smack pack is not enough and I need to grow more yeast. It says 2L of starter is enough.

Question 1: as I watch videos, I see a lot of people making smaller starters, and each day increase the size of it until they have what they need. Is this necessary? Or can I simply start with 2L of water and the appropriate amount of DME and call it a day?

Question 2: if I am not trying to stick to matching a particular style, is there any reason not to start with the starter wort to finish filling to 5 gallons? Otherwise, I need to buy another bag of DME.

Thanks for your feedback.
When it comes to yeast starters, there are different approaches, and the methods you mentioned can work depending on your preferences and the specific needs of your brew. Let's address your questions:
Question 1: Gradually increasing the size of a yeast starter is known as stepped starters or serial starters. This method is often used when you have a limited amount of yeast or a particularly high-gravity beer. By stepping up the starter volume over a few days, you allow the yeast to multiply and reach the desired cell count. It can be beneficial for obtaining a higher yeast population. However, for a 2L starter and a high gravity wit, you can start with the 2L of water and appropriate amount of DME in one go. It should be sufficient to provide an adequate yeast population for fermentation.
Question 2: Using the starter wort to fill up to 5 gallons is a common practice and can save you from buying additional DME. As long as the starter wort is made from high-quality ingredients and properly sanitized, you can use it to top up your batch without any issues. Just ensure that the starter wort has completed fermentation before adding it to the main batch to avoid any off-flavors or potential contamination.
Remember, it's important to maintain good sanitation practices throughout the yeast starter process to avoid any unwanted infections in your beer. Additionally, it's a good idea to oxygenate or aerate the wort before pitching the yeast to ensure a healthy fermentation.
Cheers, and happy brewing!

Wit beers are typically not very high in gravity. What gravity are you aiming for? If it is 1.060 or below you probably don't need a starter at all.

As for your second question there is a box in the starter tab to "add volume to bottling vol". This only calculates the volume needed in the fermenter however. It has virtually nothing to do with the end gravity of the beer so adding DME is not an issue. Your gravity should have already been met before you pitch the yeast.

Back