• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Natural Disasters

Wastegate

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I live where the monsters are, Houston Texas. If anyone has been through a Hurricane, you can relate to the issues that arise. No power, No water, No internet. I am one of the lucky ones, I had the forethought of purchasing a generator and a Window AC unit four years ago to keep the bedroom cool at night.There are a lot of people that don't have the cash for that kind of investment, let alone the cost of the gas. I sustained minimal damage to my property (fence blew down), and my power/water came on two days after it went out. My heart and prayers goes out to those who lost everything.
As for me and mine we are fine, and I hope you are to.
As a celebration to this fact I am brewing an IPA called Hurricane Havoc, I have not nailed down the recipe yet but once I do, I will post it up here.
Cheers
Preston

Preston,
  I'm glad you are doing OK.  It is a tragedy, and I hope the area can quickly recover.

Brad

Well I did not have enough Hops for the IPA but I have enough for an APA. This will be brewed one week to the day (Friday 9/19/08) after the Hurricane. I have a 2L PackMan Starter waiting, and will begin imediatly after work. So I give you "Hurricane Havoc". First time for this recipe, I will let you know how it turns out.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hurricane Havoc
Brewer: Preston Brown
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.55 gal     
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 6.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
8 lbs 12.0 oz Malt 2-Row (1.8 SRM)     Grain        86.40 %       
8.0 oz        Carapils (1.5 SRM)               Grain        4.94 %       
7.0 oz        Caramel Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)    Grain        4.34 %       
7.0 oz        Caramel Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain        4.32 %       
1.00 oz       Pearle (Whole) [8.30 %]  (90 min) (First Wort Hops)         26.3 IBU     
1.00 oz       Liberty (Whole) [4.00 %]  (Dry Hop 3 days)Hops          -           
0.50 oz       Centennial (Whole) [7.70 %]  (Dry Hop 3 days)Hops          -           
0.50 oz       Centennial (Whole) [7.70 %]  (15 min)     Hops         5.7 IBU       
1.00 oz       Liberty (Whole) [4.30 %]  (5 min)         Hops         2.5 IBU       
1.00 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)               Misc                       

Mash Schedule: (PB) Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.13 lb
----------------------------
(PB) Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 10.13 qt of water at 73.4 C     65.6 C       
10 min        Mash Out           Add 6.08 qt of water at 95.3 C      75.6 C       

Cheers
Preston

Back