• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need manual control of ingredient sort order

JCDrumKing

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been using Beersmith for 7 years and I find the inability to control the order of recipe items very frustrating.  It's one of a couple things that have me considering looking for different brewing software, unfortunately.  I'd rather stay with Beersmith, but with each new recipe I get a little closer to looking elsewhere.

The initial auto-grouping when adding an item has its value, but there needs to be a way to manually move an item up or down in the list.  I am tweaking a recipe right now where Beersmith has intermingled my mineral additions and grains, ordered my hops in a way I don't want, placed my whirlfloc and yeast nutrient additions in odd places, etc.

The only way I have ever gotten everything where I wanted was to recreate the recipe from scratch, being super careful to add every ingredient in the desired order.  But add another ingredient after the fact and the problem is back.  Dorking around with step types, quantities, or time durations to change the order works on occasion, but those changes are unwanted.

Any progress in this area would make this longtime Beersmith user (and many others I'm sure) very happy :)

Can you post up a few screen shots showing how the ingredients are ordered in your recipe?  Everything usually orders based upon addition time in the brew schedule for me. 

I'm not sure how you like your recipe ingredients ordered but have you tried clicking the top of each column? The Amt tab at the top of the first column will order things from most to least or vise versa.

Yes clicking on the column headers should solve the issue. You can sort using any of the ingredient columns listed and the '#' column will show the ingredients in the order in which they are used.

Back