• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New Brewer Guidance

Tmiller91

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I want to start brewing at home, I've been to my local supply shop and I'm somewhat overwhelmed.
I definitely don't want a 'just add water' type kit.
What equipment do I need? At first I was thinking of a fermentation bucket and using a pan as a kettle but now I'm thinking that's maybe not practical.
I saw a Mash Tun in the home brew shop, from what I can see it's a freezer box with a SS filter (could be made for £15, not £75).
I'd appreciate some practical advice? or am I better just giving my local store £200 for the full kit out and start experimenting.

Cheers,
Tom

My first advice would be to get hold of 'How To Brew' by John Palmer.  That book is a comprehensive guide to brewing from very beginning to learning more advanced techniques.  You can view the first edition of the book on line at howtobrew.com, but I really, really recommend getting the latest version in hard copy.  After over 115 brews, I still reference sections of that book more than I use any other from my vast library.

I second Oginme's suggestion to check out (and get a hard copy of) How to Brew. It starts with a "quick start" section that'll get you brewing a first batch of beer. And you'll reference it again and again.

Trust your instincts; don't brew a just-add-water kit. The kits are easier than mixing brownies, but brownies taste better. I suggest trying partial mash for your first brew. You still use extract, but avoid the expense of a mash tun and grain mill (and a lot of homework regarding mashing). Soaking your specialty grains gives you a bit of a feel for what mashing is like, and taste-wise is a huge improvement over straight extract brewing. For the extract, go with LMT if possible, not DMT. LMT has a shorter shelf life but makes, I think, a much better wort.

The first piece of equipment to concern yourself with is your copper. Buy a bigger kettle than you think you'll initially need, and put a ball valve spigot on it. In later brews you can decide if you want to go all grain and get a mash tun. But if your kettle is big enough, you'll have the option of trying BIAB, too.

Back