• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New to the forum

N

Northwood

Hello everyone,

After prowling the boards for way too long, I'm legitimately joining the great community here.  I've been brewing for about six months now (I blame my cousin), so I still have a lot to learn about the craft--hopefully you will all give me a hand with that, I certainly need it :-\  So far I've done twenty-one batches successfully migrated from extract recipes to AG, with plenty of mistakes along the way.  I'm also a hophead and high gravity junkie, the latter being the source of most of my headaches.  I usually learn something, though ;D

Again, it's good to be here.

When you are ready to try a High Gravity brew let me know and we will see what we can do.

Welcome

Fred

Thanks Bonjour,

I think I'll take you up on that offer--I'm dying to brew a big IIPA or a Stout for the winter.  I've already checked your website and found some good stuff, too ;D  Just curious, what's your favorite big beer yeast?

Northwood

It depends,

My standard pitch is 3 packs of US-05 rehydrated.  But any clean yeast will do, I just started a big BW on a Nottingham yeast cake.  I usually have to add more yeast for my big beers, typically a growler full of 1272 from a local brewpub usually does the trick.

Keep in mind that the gravities of these beers are usually above what people will think of brewing.

Fred

Fred, I am fermenting 10 gallons of 1.095. It was preboil 1.073 and I tossed in a tad over 2lbs of jaggery (palm sugar) I pitched growler starters of wy1214 and wy1098.  I need to take some readings and see where I am.  I had a week of nice violent belgian brewhaus activity.

Back