• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

No Yeast Cake in Primary Fermenter

Willards

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm new to brewing, and this is my third batch.  I'm making an IPA that just reached its final gravity.  When I was finished racking into my carboy, there was no yeast cake.  As you can see in the picture attached, there were clumps of stuff (yeast, I think?) that were floating in the top, and no cake at the bottom.  Here's the recipe for my 5 gallon batch:

1 lb caramel 20L
7 lbs DME light
1 oz centennial, 60 min
1 oz centennial, 20 min
1 tsp irish moss, 15 min
1.5 oz combined juniper berries, coriander, lemongrass, 15 min
1 oz centennial, 5 min
Safale US-05, hydrated in 100° water in sanitized bowl covered in sanitized plastic wrap for 30 min (what I always do)
Fermented in a consistent 67° until FG was reached

The beer tastes great after primary.  I am a sanitation freak, so I don't think infection is the problem.  This is my first time using irish moss and my first time using only DME. Should I be worried about the lack of yeast cake?  What could it mean, and what is the cause?

Thanks!

Attachments

• yeastclumps.jpg
    yeastclumps.jpg
    896.3 KB · Views: 734
US-05 is a medium flocculation type of yeast.  It's not low or high.  How long was it in primary?  It may not have had enough time to settle out the yeast.

It was 8 days in the fermenter.  I racked after the FG was 1.010 for 3 days.  I made a similar IPA for my last batch with US-05, racked to secondary after 7 days (3 days same FG), and it had a very compact yeast cake.  Should I be worried if I racked before the yeast settled? 

Back