• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

No yeast viability option for starters in web version?

gresco

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to build my starter using BeerSmith web (usually I use a third party calculator) and after ensuring my brew date and yeast date are correct, the starting cells count does not seem to change. I also can't find an option anywhere to allow for yeast viability. Anyone else experiencing this same issue?

Thanks

The yeast starter for a recipe is on the starter tab and the viability is determined by the data on the recipe itself and package date from the yeast used (edit the yeast itself to change it).

Thank you for the quick reply. I have done that already. It’s just not working. I changed the date of the yeast to be a year old, and it still shows 96 billion cells.

Attachments

• A3EB7E1A-73C9-4641-996F-6DD66C70CD33.png
    A3EB7E1A-73C9-4641-996F-6DD66C70CD33.png
    838.9 KB · Views: 6
Is the date also set correctly on the recipe itself?

Is the date also set correctly on the recipe itself?
Yes, the date on the main recipe page matches the brew date. When one changes, so does the other. For whatever reason, when I play with any of these dates, the cell count does not change from 96 billion.

I went back and looked at your image above - the 96 billion is the yeast cells needed without a starter. That is the ideal number of yeast cells needed for your recipe which depends on your batch size and original gravity. That is not the number of yeast cells in your packet of yeast, so it won't change. That's what you need for your recipe (in an ideal case) which you then try to meet by either adding packets of yeast or increasing starter size.

I did a video here on the yeast starter tab: https://beersmith.com/the-yeast-starter-tab-in-beersmith-web/

I went back and looked at your image above - the 96 billion is the yeast cells needed without a starter. That is the ideal number of yeast cells needed for your recipe which depends on your batch size and original gravity. That is not the number of yeast cells in your packet of yeast, so it won't change. That's what you need for your recipe (in an ideal case) which you then try to meet by either adding packets of yeast or increasing starter size.

I did a video here on the yeast starter tab: https://beersmith.com/the-yeast-starter-tab-in-beersmith-web/

Thanks, yes I've watched the starter video. Not sure if we are getting away from the original question. But I think I've found the answer. I was concerned that the starter cells was never changing when I entered my yeast manufactured date correctly (to affect yeast viability). When I use the actual BeerSmith 3 software, it adjusts correctly. On the web version/beersmithrecipes.com, it does not change. I've tried it on different browsers, and my phone and it's all the same.

That is very odd as I just tried a series of changes here and when I change the date on the package of yeast, it does change the "Cells with No Starter" as well as the "Packages with No Starter". As I mentioned the yeast cells needed does not change as that is calculated from the recipe itself.

Back