• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Northern Brewer 3 narrow range hydrometer set - Are they worth $60

ImperialStout

Brewer
Reaction score
Just got an email from Northern Brewer, as most of you have. They sell a set of narrow range hydrometers for $60, link below. Anyone have experience with these or other PRO grade and expensive hydrometers?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewery-essentials-advanced-gravity-testing-assembly.html?utm_source=The+Northern+Brewer+Newsletter&utm_campaign=54ce7a1057-AdvancedGravity-02282013-CD&utm_medium=email&ct=t%28AdvancedGravity-02282013-CD%29&gooal=eyJjaWQiOiI1NGNlN2ExMDU3IiwidGFnIjoiQWR2YW5jZWRHcmF2aXR5LTAyMjgyMDEzLUNEIiwidWlkIjoiYTllZjQ5NzcxODQwZWJiZWVmN2RkZTc3OSJ9|dXMxODYzQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ==&mc_cid=54ce7a1057&mc_eid=%5BUNIQID%5D

Do we really need that much precision at the homebrew 5/10 gallon level?

And what level of increased accuracy do these instruments allow us to measure?  And what is the marginal value of the additional accuracy?

I can see if you're brewing barrels at a time, where batch-to-batch consistency counts for a lot, you might want that additional accuracy.  I couldn't see spending the money for what I'm producing.

I don't know about $60 for three, but I spent $20 for a good lab one that goes from 0 to 70, so it's much easier to read. 

Back