• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Not all options available on BS 3.2.7 (Yeast Starter Tab)

hermannps

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I have the most recent BS licence/software installed on my windows 10 PC, but. Reading the Help Page for Yeast Starter tab (on receipt building), I realize that I not see all options available to use. For example, I read on help page the following text "Under the "Yeast Starter Used" section, you can enter the size of starter you intend to use and check the box if you are using a stir plate". I can't see those options to use on the Yeast Starter tab. Looks like I'm using an older version of the Beersmith software, but as I mentioned, I look at Help - About Beersmith page and I'm using 3.2.7 version... the most recent available. Does anyone explain what's happening? I'm doing someting wrong?

Thanks in advance

Are you using dry yeast or liquid yeast, as dry yeast does not generally calculate a starter size, while liquid yeast will?

Are you using dry yeast or liquid yeast, as dry yeast does not generally calculate a starter size, while liquid yeast will?
Yes, I'm using dry yeast. I tried with liquid and the options show up :). Thank you!

Well, the point is, here where I live, it's better to make a starter from a dry us-05 pack than buy additional packs (I pay R$ 27 for an dry, and only R$ 7 for 100g Dry Malt, or R$ 0 If I use previous wort). If I put the package date, this makes even more sense to use starter for larger batch.

Is there any way to make starter calc for dry yeast? One thing that come to my mind is add any liquid yeast with near 0 viable cells, together with an dry yeast (with valid yeast viable cells), but I don't know If this will make the right calc. Can you tell-me if this workarround will work?

On the top ribbon of the design panel, click on ingredients and select yeast. Use copy/paste to make a copy of the listing for the yeast you're using. Double click on the copy, select liquid yeast and change the age rate to 1.66%. Be sure to enter an estimated packaging date. I go back 2 years from the best by date. I also add "for starter" to the name of the yeast to distinguish it from the dry normal yeast listing. Once you've done this, you can include it in a recipe and it will show up as a liquid yeast in the starter tool.
Be sure to aerate or oxygenate after pitching. Once you've made the starter it's for all intents and purposes, liquid yeast.

Hello I'm having the same problem reported by @hermannps . In BS2.0 it was possible to do the calculation with dry yeast, why was this option removed from BS3.0?

Dry yeast starters are not in the 3.x program, though I have a note to add them back in for the next revision.

Brad

Back