• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Over Carbonation in Bottle

My batch size is normally based on 5 US Gallon so around 18.5L.  Your experience does suggest that I really do need to use a starter and add in some yeast nutrients.  I have some White Labs yeast due to arrive so was planning on making up a 1L starter.  Have you ever used the White Labs WLN3200 Servomyces?

The forced fermentation is a good idea and worth me trying.

Paul_G said:
Have you ever used the White Labs WLN3200 Servomyces?

An all malt wort doesn't usually need much nutrient (if any). For higher gravity beers, longer storage times and reharvesting, the benefits of feeding your yeast really start to add up.

One of the selling points of Servomyces is that it is enriched with Zinc. Since Zinc is the main "limit nutrient" in fermentation, I'd focus on that and use less expensive nutrient like Superfood.

Alternatively, you can mimic Servomyces by adding 7 to 10g of bread yeast to the last 10 minutes of the boil along with a quarter of a zinc sulfate supplement tablet. That's still a massive dose of zinc for 5 gallon. The tablets are 220 mg each, here, and I think you'd need just 10 mg per 5 gallons.

Side note: Although Servomyces is advertised as yeast hulls (dead yeast), that isn't always entirely true. I've mixed it with wort to dissolve (as I do with any nutrient) and came back to a very active krausening all over my staging bench.  ;D  Many Monty Python quotes ensued.

Back