• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pitch yeast?

h4brewing

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,
    Can I just throw the yeast into my cooled wort?  Do I have to "pitch it"....?

h4brewing said:
Hi,

Everything depends on how you hold the vial when you pitch.  I prefer a straight fastball, but others work tirelessly on their knuckleball.  For heavens sake, DON'T TRY THE SPITBALL!!

j/k

"Pitch" is just the term for adding yeast to your cooled wort.

Yea but do I need to get the yeast going first?  Can I just throw in the dry yeast direct?

I catch a lot of heat on this forum whenever I say it, but I often just follow the directions on the packets of Fermentis brand dry yeast that I use for most of my brews.

"Sprinkle onto wort."

Maine Homebrewer said:
I catch a lot of heat on this forum whenever I say it, but I often just follow the directions on the packets of Fermentis brand dry yeast that I use for most of my brews.

"Sprinkle onto wort."

A LOT?  Am I THAT bad?  :)

I was taught to rehydrate dry yeast, so I did.  I never cared if it mattered.  It never occurred to me.  I never even read the package.  I just did what I was told.  I had great fermentations every time.  Then I read that it didn't matter so I researched at yeast web sites.  Turns out it was not required.  So, I stopped and had great fermentations every time.  Then I stopped using dry yeast Or used it to augment times when i didn't make a starter.  I had great fermentations every time. 

So, either way, whatever works for you.  Just pitch the right amount of cells and control your fermentation temperature.  That is my constant nag.  Most of what you do will not matter if you do not control your fermentation temp.  There is a butt load of people who worry about Beersmith calculating 2 IBU off or 3 gravity point difference yet don't give a wad of snot about controlling their fermentation temp.  Give a wad of snot and make better beer!

In Chris White's book Yeast The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation. He states that not re hydrating yeast kills half of the yeast cells.   

Ike,  That's what I had always heard and read too, so I never considered not rehydrating. 

Maine, I too k a look at my US05 and the pack says sprinkle like you said. I never read it before.  They have changed the look and text of their website data sheets...they used to have different tech sheets for home, craft, industrial and they only said sprinkle for homebrewers. They all now say rehydrate or sprinkle. I emailed them a couple times way back when for clarification but I guess they don't care for the homebrew market.  Zero response.

brewfun said:
h4brewing said:
Hi,

Everything depends on how you hold the vial when you pitch.  I prefer a straight fastball, but others work tirelessly on their knuckleball.  For heavens sake, DON'T TRY THE SPITBALL!!

j/k

"Pitch" is just the term for adding yeast to your cooled wort.
gives a whole new meaning to slow pitch

Back