• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Porkert 'corona style' mills

G

Gough

Hi fellas,

I've read a few of the mill related posts here and I'm very jealous of you US brewers and the range of easily accessible mills over there. I'm not so keen to import one to Australia for cost reasons basically, but am struggling to find any mills easily other than the older porkert mills. What exactly would you all say are the negatives surrounding these mills? If I was to buy one what major problems can I expect? Can they be set up to work with a drill? Is it really worth my while?

I guess I can just save up and import one of the US ones but if the porkert mills are OK then I might jump in and give them a go. I'd appreciate any advice offered.

Thanks guys,

Shawn.

I don't see anything wrong with using them. They might be hard to adjust at first, but once you get a proper crush, you should be good to go. All you have to do is remove the handle, find the correct bolt, and insert it into the mill where the handle was to use a drill with it.
A socket adapter & socket will allow you to use a drill with it.

I used a corona mill for a few years - and it makes perfectly fine beer.

You don't have as much control as you do with a roller mill, and it does tend to crush the grain and husks more than one might want in many cases, but there is no reason why you can't get 70+% efficiency with it.

Considering the price differential (perhaps 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a good roller mill) it is a reasonable alternative.

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks fellas. I'm still to make up my mind. I went and checked one out today and it is hard to tell how adjustable it is (it was still wrapped up in its box...)
Thanks again and feel free to provide any further comment anyone,

Shawn.

Shawn,
 Mine had two thumbscrews on the main rotating plate.  You just adjust them in and out to adjust the coarseness of the mill.

Of course, the thumb screws on my cheaply made mill were pretty sloppy, so it was more a matter of trial and error than measuring and setting a gap.

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks again for all your help fellas. After all that I found a cheap(ish) roller mill made in Italy called a 'Marga' mill that I've bought and plan to make a few modifications to. It seems a little easier to adjust than the Porkert and from what I understand at this stage being a roller mill it should give a little better crush. It was $79.95 Australian versus $62 Aussie for the Porkert, so it was dearer but not outrageously so.

Thanks again for your help. Here's hoping I can do the Mill justice with some great beers! Brewing a Pilsner this weekend. Mmmm, Saaz...

Shawn.

The mill you speak of is a flour mill. It makes flour out of grains, which you don't want to do for brewing beer.
All you want to do is crack or crush the grains just enough to expose the insides of them.

TF,

The Marga is adjustable and its widest preset setting gives a great crush. One of the modifications is also to drill another hole to give an even coarser crush. You are right, it is primarily a flour mill, but will crush well for brewing when set correctly and is a good cheap roller mill option.

Thanks again for replying,

Shawn.

So where did you get your mill from  I am looking as well just have not found the marga In sydney

Adress and phone would be great

sintax ::)

Back