• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Profile importing

Robby6pack

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am new to the BeerSmith software.  I made a couple of recipes using all grain and partial mash/extract.  I was using the BIAB profile for my all grain, because I didn't know any better and just winging the amount of sparge water until I reached my estimated boil volume.  I just purchased a Brewers Edge brew kettle.  Is there a profile that I can import?  Also, where can I find ingredient, equipment.... profiles?

I always recommend that new users spend some time in either taking a stock equipment profile or creating a new one and customizing it to their equipment and style of brewing.  Especially with the pre-marked kettles and vessels available, I highly suggest that you make your own dip stick to measure volumes as the markings are usually stamped or etched on based upon the engineering drawings and not according to how each kettle is manufactured.

There are several sources on the internet to help with creating or making a profile.  You can start with a search through these forums or through Brad's blogs for written guidance.  Marshall at Brulosophy has also created a few videos on making equipment and mash profiles using BeerSmith, as has Brad.  These can be found at the links below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmW7pwQP5mQ&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYrHmduuJfY&t=19s

There are also some more equipment profiles available for some of the brewing systems on the market which can be downloaded through the 'add-ons' button in BeerSmith.  There are many ingredients available through the add-ons as well.  Most of the ingredients that are not available can be added in easily by opening up the ingredient profiles and clicking on 'add new'.  The majority of suppliers have enough information on their data sheets to enable these to be added into BeerSmith.

I know this is an old post, but it is the only one I have found regarding the Brewer's Edge Mash and Brew system.  As well, I want to discuss equipment profiles.
As with recipes, it would be very cool if we could share equipment profiles, especially for these fixed systems.  I say fixed, knowing that these systems can be modified, but to have a base profile to start with would be great.  If I have the baseline brewers edge and just use it as is, a base profile would be nice.
I can go make a profile but wonder if anyone else has and how many people have made a profile for the same hardware.  Can those be shared/imported?
I see there are some equipment profiles in the add-ins, but these one isn't one of them.  How do we submit one to be added to the add-ins?

Thanks.

You can export a profile by opening up your profile library, highlighting the profile you want to export.  Now click on 'file' > 'export selected' and you will get a dialog box which you will give it a file name.  The profile will then be saved as 'your file name'.bsmx.  You can send this or transfer it to any computer with BeerSmith installed and open it in BeerSmith.  To save it on the new computer, highlight the profile in the folder it opens up, right click and select 'copy file', open the equipment profiles in BeerSmith, then right click and paste it into the equipment profile library on the new computer.

Thanks for your reply.  I am logged into the cloud on my account and see recipes I have added there.  I don't see any option to either add equipment or backup my local beersmith account.  It would be cool to have an option like that for cloud equipment and account backup.  I think I am taking this discussion a bit from topic, but only tangentially :)

Right now the program is not meant to be cloud based.  It does offer cloud based recipe storage, but not recipe editing.  Some of the changes in the latest release is setting up the program to be a cloud based app, but it is not there yet.  To adjust a recipe, it needs to be downloaded to BeerSmith on your computer.  You can do this by either logging into the cloud in your browser and then clicking 'download' link right underneath the recipe name or through the beersmith program on your computer.  If it is your recipe on the cloud, you can click on 'cloud' on the tool bar to see  your recipes which have been uploaded to the cloud and open them to edit.  If you are looking for a different recipe, you can use 'cloud search' to find the recipe you want and then download a local copy to your computer to edit and make it your own.

Back