• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Promash Converter

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
OK,
 Well I did not do it, but Darren Robinson did!

He posted a Visual Basic Script that converts Promash TEXT files to BeerXML (which can then be read into BeerSmith).

The script is on the BeerXML site at:

http://www.beerxml.com/converter.htm

Let him know if you like it!

Cheers!
Brad

Has anyone been able to get the converter to work?  I can get it to make a blank xml.

Fred

Send an email to:

darrenjrobinson @ gmail.com

He can probably sort it out for you.  I know quite a few people have beta tested it and had it working, so it is probably something simple.

Cheers!
Brad

OK, thanks, got it to work.  The problem is that the conversion script requires certain ProMash "options" set in order to perform the conversion.  I set all the options, including ones that I didn't think made a difference.  So if the conversion doesn't work set all the options.

I had a legit text output from ProMash with NO deletions.  I tried an old and a new text export, apparently with not the right options set.  The script did not inform me I was missing anything.
Comparing the text you sent (which worked) to mine revealed "missing" data in mine.

Thanks

Fred

Brad,
can you change the instructions from

To Use This Tool
1. Open your recipe in Promash and export it as a TEXT file format.
2. Run the visual basic script (link provided below).
3. Choose the TEXT file Promash format as the Source Recipe.
4. Choose the BeerXML file to export the recipe as.
5. Read the BeerXML file into your favorite BeerXML compatible program!

to

To Use This Tool
1. Open your recipe in Promash and print/export it in TEXT file format with all text options selected.
2. Run the visual basic script (link provided below).
3. Choose the TEXT file Promash format as the Source Recipe.
4. Choose the BeerXML file to export the recipe as.
5. Read the BeerXML file into your favorite BeerXML compatible program!

Sound ok Doc?

Fred

Yes, Fred. That would definitely work.

However there is some logic in the conversion as I encountered similar problems in my testing, when sent recipes from some of the beta testers, where not full text exports were done from Promash.
The conversion script does NOT require all parts of the Promash recipe to be there, but does require at least a base set in the right Promash order.

From the top. The conversion script expects to see the line "A ProMash Recipe Report"

Then it expects to see "Style Guidelines"
Then it expects to see "Recipe Specifics"
Then it expects to see "Pre-Boil Amounts"
Then it expects to see "Grain/Extract/Sugar"
Then it expects to see "Hops"

After this things become a bit more variable.
It now starts looking for combinations as this is where recipes generally start to include or exclude options dependant on your export options.

It now expects to see "Yeast" or "Extras"

It then expects to see "Water" which if not completed in the recipe will be 0.0 ppm anyway.

I'm actually not too sure on the Water part. (I don't have the full code on this computer). I may have removed a dependancy on the Water section.

Finally it looks for "Mash Schedule"

It will also pickup any recipe notes.

Can you please send me the recipe that was failing for you Fred ?

This tool was written to convert recipes that were published to brewing internet forums, specifically where users do not have Promash. I'd like to iron out this bug, as these users would not be able to re-export a recipe.

Regards,
Doc

A simple suggestion,

Check the text and if not present just proceed to the next item (refering to below)
[SIZE=-1]Then it expects to see "Style Guidelines"
Then it expects to see "Recipe Specifics"
Then it expects to see "Pre-Boil Amounts"
Then it expects to see "Grain/Extract/Sugar"
Then it expects to see "Hops"
[/SIZE]

That way it should not matter what was included and what was not.

I'll give you more specific feed back later.
Fred

Ok, I'm looking at the release code now.

After locating the Recipe name and verifying the Promash export header it looks initially for "Style Guidelines"  or "Recipe Specifics"  
This allows for recipes that don't have Style Guidelines eg. experimental and the author has not chosen the AHA or BJCP Experimental category.

Recipes Specs must be there and it must then be followed by "Grain/Extract/Sugar"  

I could make it skip to next if not found, but if there are no fermentables etc, then why bother with the conversion anyway ?

So I'm guessing your Promash export didn't have a Recipe Specs section. Send me the one that failed for you and I'll look into it further.

Beers,
Doc

OK, I'm not a computer guy here... So is it possible to use Promash recipe that we find on the web and import them into BeerSmith or do you need Promash too. I' a little bit lost in your bug fixes... ???

The converter will work only on "text" format promash recipes, not the "REC" recipe files.

You do need promash to convert the "REC" files to a text format for import using this utility.

Happy New Year!
Brad

What happened to this converter? I have some old promash recipes to convert.
Thanks

I don't know - I did not write the original converter but just posted a link to it.  I assume the moved the link.  You might want to try the Aussie forum where it was posted to see if anyone has a copy.

Brad

Back