• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question on BeerSmith Future?

jjocsak

Brewer
Reaction score
Just curious if a new version is going to be released anytime soon? It's been a while since the last update. I was looking around and didn't see any discussion on it. If I missed it I'm sorry.

Jeff

Jeff,
 I have no firm date, but I am working on a new set of updates.  I'm hoping to get some significant work done over the upcoming holiday and establish a release date after that.  

If I had to guess at this point I would say late Spring.

As always the update will be free to all registered users.

Brad

Thanks for all your hard work. You know how cranky us users get when we don't get our updates.
I'm looking forward to the next update.

Jeff

Jeff,
 Still working hard on it, but as always the list of items continues to grow.  Always a challenge to decide when to cut it off and turn it over to the testers.

I will get something out in a few months...no hard date established yet though.

Brad

If and when an update is released, will it be free to registered users?  I am debating buying beersmith, but I don't want to be hit up for a new registration fee if a new version is released in the next few months.

Yes,
  The update will be free to all registered users and will also be backward compatible.

Purchasing a copy now will not limit you in any way once a new version is ready.

Cheers!
Brad

Jeff,
  I was sidetracked a bit creating BrewWiki.com, but I'm back working on BeerSmith again now.  I have the Calendar features implemented and many of the smaller features. I'm working on a brew timer and templated brewsheet now.  No firm date, but I'm getting closer to holding a beta soon.

Cheers!
Brad

BeerSmith said:
Jeff,
  I was sidetracked a bit creating BrewWiki.com, but I'm back working on BeerSmith again now.  I have the Calendar features implemented and many of the smaller features. I'm working on a brew timer and templated brewsheet now.  No firm date, but I'm getting closer to holding a beta soon.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad, how is the new version coming along?  ;D

Jeff,
  Doing well - I have a significant amount of time coming soon that I plan to dedicate to it.  BeerSmith is doing well, and has a bright future.

Thanks,
Brad

Is there any chance - just for the sake of throwing a bone - that you'd list some of the features coming in the new update?

Hi there!

I am a new brewer and have been looking at different software packages to help me along.  I have downloaded Beersmith (trial version) and so far really like it. Seems easy to use and I love the brewsheet feature and used it for my 2nd ever brew yesterday. The bullet checklist really helps keep things moving along.

From the sounds of it, an upate is around the corner.  Any hints as to when or maybe some of the new features that will be added?  ;D

Great to see active participation in development! Kudos in that. 

First, when it is released this will be a FREE UPDATE for all registered users, and you should be able to upgrade it in place with with no ill effects.

Here are some things I've already started implementing:
- Calendar View - for scheduling recipes (also notes and events)
- Notes - including tasks, calendar events and basic notes
- Late Extract Additions - including proper IBU calculations
- Customizable Brewsheet Templates - so you can make your own brewsheet just like any other report
- Ability to mix waters in water tool and also save water additive combinations for direct use in a recipe
- Ability to lock a recipe to prevent editing
- Recipe Save As command to allow changes without overwriting the original
- Quite a number of bug fixes and minor improvements
- Increased template options - for example you can put $STYLE.NAME within a recipe to get the name of the beer style

That's just the portion I've done so far, and I have no firm release date yet as I still have a long list, but I'm literally programming and testing every day now on it.  Obviously we still have an extended test period to go through as well, but I'm hoping the end product will be worth the wait.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad,

Sounds like some great additions.  I will be anxious to see them.

Mike

So it's been nearly 6 months since the last update on progress..... are we there yet... are we there yet... are we there yet...  ;) ;D  I'm just about peeing myself with anticipation.

Chad,
  Software is done - I'm working on the web site changes over the next few days.  I expect to release it by this coming weekend at the latest.

Brad

Back