• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Re use yeast

S

Shakey_Dog

I re-used yeast for the first time yesterday and it it bubble away next to me as I type this ;D.

It was very easy to do so I will be doing this all the time now.  But, I have one question,  how many generations can you get before bad things happen ???.

Is it 3, 5, 100?

Thanks,

Don

I'm beginning to aquire the "tools" required for yeast culturing.  Three very good sites are WYEAST, whiteyeast, & Siebel Institute.

They give some great info.

Dave

I re-used yeast for the first time yesterday and it it bubble away next to me as I type this ;D.

It was very easy to do so I will be doing this all the time now.  But, I have one question,  how many generations can you get before bad things happen ???.

Is it 3, 5, 100?

Thanks,

Don

The general feeling is no more than 4-5 times.

I have saved yeast and used as many as five times...I haven't had a problem yet.  I've never ventured beyond this, as I get progessively worried about contamination.  However, I suppose that another use or two wouldn't hurt.  ;)

I either save in the fermenter if using within the next few days, or if I plan on not using for awhile, I put it into a sterile mason jar with the lid slightly loosened to allow gas escape.

-Brian

I have mason jars also.  I got them at Wall Mart for next to nothing.  I just was not sure where to stop with how many times to re use.  5 sounds good to me also :)

Don

Back