• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe to Shopping List Units

CRider

Apprentice
Reaction score
When building a recipe I enter my grain amounts in lbs and 10th/lb

When I look at the recipe it is converted to oz.  Which is GREAT as that's how I have to buy from LHBS.

When I print the shopping list it's back to 10th/lb and I go nuts look at the scale at the LHBS trying to figure how many ounces is 0.6 lbs.

My LHBS lets us measure our own grains on their hanging scale which reads in ounces not 10th of a pound.

Mahalo, I love the new version

If this gets implemented, I hope this is another option to choose this or decimal amounts.

I like the decimal amounts for grains as that is how the  digital scale at the LHBS reads.
I would even love an accumulated grain total so that I can verify my math against the scale.
I.e.

grain    amount    cumulative
grain 1    6.22            6.22
grain 2    3.08              9.30
grain 3    0.50              9.80
grain 4    0.20            10.00

Since I measure one grain on top of the other until I'm done with measuring.

cumulative total would be kool.  I measure 3 oz and then need 11 more I have to look at the scale and think ok the total now should be 13 oz and so on.

Would be nice for Brad to give us an answer!
Or a comment. 

:)

I am also having this problem.  I went into options -> units and checked "Show English weights as lbs/oz (i.e. 2 lb 3 oz)" this shows up in my recipe but this does not carry over to the Shopping List.  Please advise.

CRider said:

When I look at the recipe it is converted to oz.  Which is GREAT as that's how I have to buy from LHBS.

When I print the shopping list it's back to 10th/lb and I go nuts look at the scale at the LHBS trying to figure how many ounces is 0.6 lbs.

My LHBS lets us measure our own grains on their hanging scale which reads in ounces not 10th of a pound.

+1

psusoccer21 said:
I am also having this problem.  I went into options -> units and checked "Show English weights as lbs/oz (i.e. 2 lb 3 oz)" this shows up in my recipe but this does not carry over to the Shopping List.  Please advise.

CRider said:

Hi,
  Sorry - since the shopping list uses a generic units system (separate from the ones used for grains/hops) it is not carrying over the units in lbs/ounces.

However, I've just added this to my list of items to correct for a future build.  I think I can modify it to use lbs/oz for grains as needed.

Brad

Excellent.  Thank you!

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  Sorry - since the shopping list uses a generic units system (separate from the ones used for grains/hops) it is not carrying over the units in lbs/ounces.

However, I've just added this to my list of items to correct for a future build.  I think I can modify it to use lbs/oz for grains as needed.

Brad

Back