• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe using wlp800

ultrasaha

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a pils batch in a few days (i've just get a freezer to control temperatures). I'm using WLP800.

After that i'll would like to use the same yeast to make a hoppy lagger and a viena lager. But must of the recipes uses WLP830 for these styles.

I know with WLP800 wort will be beer, but how do you think it will be? I would like your opinion about these different strains, WLP800 and WLP830.

Thanks and Cheers!

IMO, the differences are small enough that unless you're chasing national medals, they're interchangeable. The main thing is to treat it correctly with plenty of O2 and primary temp of about 48F.

800 has more of the classic light sulfur of Bohemian Pils, where 830 is going to leave more hop bitterness and a dryer finish. Both are delicious.

I agree with brewfun. 
I've not tried the wlp800, but I have used the 810 (San Francisco Lager), 820 (Octoberfest/Marzen),  830 (German Lager) and 833 (German Bock).  For me, they have all worked very similar with the exception I was able to make a psyudo lager at ale temps up to 65F with the 810.  That was before I was able to ferment at temps as low as 48-50F.  Also I found the 820 to be slightly more malty than the others.

I find the White Labs Yeast Strain website very useful.  Clicking on "View More" link for the yeast type will call up the beer styles best suited for, yeast characteristics and performance listings. 

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew/listings

Back