• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipes disappear

eriksimoes

Apprentice
Reaction score
My new recipes disappear after closing the program. The same thing happens when I move a recipe to another folder. I made a video of my screen.

https://youtu.be/jQVrnVfOeDA

What's going on?

I have the same problem. Very frustrating. I tired following the zipfile back up and reinstall recipes only. Didnt work.  Also deleted complete program and reinstalled still same issue.

If this is a consistent problem you may have a corrupted recipe file.

Here's the procedure for resetting the Recipe file alone if you have a corrupted Recipe.bsmx file:

- Open BeerSmith 3.2 and go to File->Full Backup to Zip and make a zip file backup of everything (just in case)
    and store this somewhere safe on your hard drive - you should not need this but it is good to have a backup
  - Within BeerSmith from My Recipes view do a File->Export All to save all of your recipes to a new file - call it Recipe.bsmx and store it somewhere
      easily accessible like your Documents or Desktop - this will be your new Recipe.bsmx file
  - Close BeerSmith and open the Windows File Manager or Mac File Finder
  - Go to %APPDATA% (on Windows by typing into file manager toolbar) or on the Mac use the File Manager's Go->Library command to view that directory (On the Mac the Library directory may be hidden) and then go to Application Support/BeerSmith3 under the Library
  - Under the AppData or Library directory is a "BeerSmith3" directory - open that directory
  - Under the BeerSmith3 directory there should be a file called Recipe.bsmx which is the main recipe file.  Replace
    that Recipe.bsmx file with the one you just saved (to your Documents or Desktop folder).  You want the new one to write
    over the old
  - Start BeerSmith 3 again and create a blank recipe and save it
  - Close BeerSmith 3 and then open it again to make sure the recipe you just created is saved

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks Brad, but it doesn't worked.
I did exactly all the steps you have indicated, however, the problem persists. :'(

It's very frustrating. Now, to create new recipes, I have to send them directly to the cloud folder but it has capacity limitation of number of recipes.

If you have made any alterations to file locations or folder/file names you risk running into this issue.

Thank you Kevin. I have never made any alterations to file locations or changed file names. The problem just happened from one day to the next. I have been using Beersmith for over 10 years and have never had a problem.

Are you running the current version (3.2.7 under Help-About)?

If this is a consistent problem you may have a corrupted recipe file.

Here's the procedure for resetting the Recipe file alone if you have a corrupted Recipe.bsmx file:

- Open BeerSmith 3.2 and go to File->Full Backup to Zip and make a zip file backup of everything (just in case)
and store this somewhere safe on your hard drive - you should not need this but it is good to have a backup
- Within BeerSmith from My Recipes view do a File->Export All to save all of your recipes to a new file - call it Recipe.bsmx and store it somewhere
easily accessible like your Documents or Desktop - this will be your new Recipe.bsmx file
- Close BeerSmith and open the Windows File Manager or Mac File Finder
- Go to %APPDATA% (on Windows by typing into file manager toolbar) or on the Mac use the File Manager's Go->Library command to view that directory (On the Mac the Library directory may be hidden) and then go to Application Support/BeerSmith3 under the Library
- Under the AppData or Library directory is a "BeerSmith3" directory - open that directory
- Under the BeerSmith3 directory there should be a file called Recipe.bsmx which is the main recipe file. Replace
that Recipe.bsmx file with the one you just saved (to your Documents or Desktop folder). You want the new one to write
over the old
- Start BeerSmith 3 again and create a blank recipe and save it
- Close BeerSmith 3 and then open it again to make sure the recipe you just created is saved

Cheers,
Brad
No solution. Followed all instructions. I uninstalled and installed again. I never made any changes to the file names. I can't believe that after 11 years using Beersmith I will have to leave it behind. The last recipes I have already used the Brewfather. Thank you for everything, but now I say goodbye.

When I reinstalled BeerSmith, after a computer upgrade, I didn't lose any historical data at all. Sounds to me like you uninstalled BeerSmith then installed the wrong brewing software. Is that right? Probably worth checking, because it's possible to lose BeerSmith recipes doing something like that, I would've thought.

No solution. Followed all instructions. I uninstalled and installed again. I never made any changes to the file names. I can't believe that after 11 years using Beersmith I will have to leave it behind. The last recipes I have already used the Brewfather. Thank you for everything, but now I say goodbye.
If it is still not saving data here are two other things to try:
  • Whitelist BeerSmith in your antivirus - we've had cases where an antivirus program is blocking BeerSmith from writing to the hard drive. Try turning off the antivirus for a few minutes or alternately whitelist BeerSmith and then run the program to see if it helps.
  • If that fails you could also have a permissions issue. To check this, try creating a blank empty directory somewhere on your hard drive and then go to File->Change Documents Directory in BeerSmith and point it to the blank directory. This should copy all of your data over to the new directory and set that as the primary storage location. It will also correct any file permissions when copying which may help.
Brad

Thanks.
I have no antivirus blocking the software.
And the second alternative, I don't know how to proceed. Please, I request a remote assistance.

• Whitelist BeerSmith in your antivirus - we've had cases where an antivirus program is blocking BeerSmith from writing to the hard drive. Try turning off the antivirus for a few minutes or alternately whitelist BeerSmith and then run the program to see if it helps.
  • If that fails you could also have a permissions issue. To check this, try creating a blank empty directory somewhere on your hard drive and then go to File->Change Documents Directory in BeerSmith and point it to the blank directory. This should copy all of your data over to the new directory and set that as the primary storage location. It will also correct any file permissions when copying which may help.
Brad
Thanks.
I have no antivirus blocking the software.
And the second alternative, I don't know how to proceed. Please, I request a remote assistance.

Brad
I managed to understand and followed the instructions, however, the situation got even worse. The program does not open at all. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and I still get an error message. Please I need remote help.
It's not possible that we keep assuming possible problems and I keep trying everything. I'm not a computer technician.

Brad,
I am having trouble saving current recipes to BeerSmith. I had to purchase a new laptop and thus installed Version 3.2.7. I simply saved my recipes from my old laptop and placed into the new program. However, when I open a previous recipe, save it, close the program and open it again, the recipe is there but in name only. All the notes, recipe information etc., is missing. I have tried deleting the recipe and re-entering it manually as a new recipe and the same issue occurs. The first image below is what it should be as entered, however the second image is what is saved.
Thank you for your help,
Dennis

1680870102899.png

1680870144034.png

Drop me an email - it is possible you have some corruption in your recipe data file and I can send detailed instrucitons. Email to beersmith at beersmith.com

Back