• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipes Lost

paivers

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I had to reimage my PC after a hard drive failure. I have a full PC backup, and a local copy of my entire BeerSmith3 folder prior to the crash, updated a few days prior to the crash. After I got the drive back I installed BeerSmith3 and overwrote the folder with the backup. MyRecipes is now blank. I found recipes.bsmx, and it has some of my recipes but not ones in the past 3 years. Also my profiles are gone. How do I restore the folder?
- Pete

Your data is typically under the "Applications Data/Roaming" folder for your main user. This is usually something like "C:/Users/{username}/Application Data/Roaming/BeerSmith3" by default. Not sure if you have that backed up but that has been the default for many years since people were losing too much data in the Documents directory and also antivirus programs were moving and deleting that data.

If you have BSMX files you can open them and check them out:
https://beersmith.com/blog/2019/01/27/sharing-beer-brewing-data-using-bsmx-files-in-beersmith/

There is also a single command to back everything up to a zip file:
https://beersmith.com/blog/2022/12/22/back-up-your-beersmith-data/

Brad

Hi Brad,
I followed all the usual steps listed in another post. Did an experiment to see what was going on. I am using FINDSTR, a grep utility for windows that searches a folder for anything with the string listed. I added a fake recipe to My Recipes with an unusual name, and FINDSTR isn't finding it in the BeerSmith3 folder at all, but if I search for other recipes in My Recipes it finds them in the XML recipes recipes.bsmx.
So I think what is happening is that My Recipes is saving to somewhere weird. Is there any way to know where My Recipes is saving to? Same thing happened to me 3 years ago and its pretty clear My Recipes is not being backed up.
- Pete

Yes - go to File->Change Documents Directory. This will pop up a dialog showing the current data storage directory for BeerSmith. I don't recommend changing it unless you absolutely have to. Press cancel to exit.

However if you do change it - you need to point it to a completely empty directory as it will OVERWRITE anything in the destination directory by copying the existing data over from the current directory.

Back