• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

recipies don't save. Get error message when close BeerSmith-couldn't register clipboard format

joeS

New Forum Member
Reaction score
When I create a recipie in BeerSmith, I save it to my recipes. After I close, Beersmith and reopen, the recipie is not there. No recipies are saving. All my previous recipes I had saved are gone. When I close Beersmith, I get an error message, Couldn't register ClipBoard Format. Any ideas? Thanks Joe

I would suggest a full data reset in this case (unfortunately):
---
For Version 3 to do a complete data reset:
- Close BeerSmith first
- Go to Documents and rename the BeerSmith3 directory to something like BeerSmithOLD
- Go to %APPDATA% (on Windows by typing into file manager toolbar) or on the Mac use the File Manager's Go->Library command to view that directory
- If you are in the correct AppData or "Library/Application Support" (mac) directory there should be another BeerSmith3 directory here which stores data
- Rename that BeerSmith3 directory to something like BeerSmithOLD (it has all of your backups)
- Finally restart BeerSmith and it should have a "default" install with default data
- Now if you wish you can go back and open the older BSMX files from the two directories mentioned above to import old
data - typically you do this with File->Open in BeerSmith and then copy/paste the data items from the open file to your Reicpe or other views
- If you were using BeerSmith 3.2 the latest data is in the %APPDATA%/BeerSmithOLD directory you renamed. For BeerSmith 3.0
it would be in the Documents/BeerSmithOLD directory
- Recipes are in the Recipe.bsmx file and other data in appropriately named other files such as Equipment.bsmx
- There are more details on working with BeerSmith BSMX files in the article below:
https://beersmith.com/blog/2019/01/27/sharing-beer-brewing-data-using-bsmx-files-in-beersmith/

--

Upvote 0
When I am in Beersmith, I can only create a recipie after clicking on the cloud. If I click on My recipies, the task bar goes grey and I can't create a new recipie or use any of the task bar (i.e. add folder,etc). Does that make sense? Thank you

Upvote 0
Are you on Mac or PC and which version of BeerSmith (and OSX if Mac)?

Upvote 0
On the PC I would still recommend following the procedure above if you can do so.

Upvote 0
When I go to open BeerSmith now, I am getting a messge:
BeerSmith: Another copy May be Running
-There is a file in your Beersmith data directory that indicates another copy of beersmith maybe using that data.

Is this contributing to the problem? thank you

Upvote 0
No - that is usually just an indicator that the program did not shut down properly the last time it was run.

Upvote 0
Back