• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recommended Target Water Profile for Belgian Tripel?

bierman22

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've been brewing awhile but just now getting into water adjustments, which is one of the reasons I purchased Beersmith. I've searched this forum and the web for recommendations for a good target water profile (within Beersmith) for a Belgian Tripel recipe I plan to brew, but really can't find anything. I'm leaning toward "Brings out Maltiness and Bitterness" or maybe one of the "Yellow Full" Am I way off? Any advice?
Thanks!

Have you found any target profiles outside of Beersmith? You can always use that to create a custom profile. There is nothing specifically Belgian on this list but I used a few of these to make a profile to add to my BS3 database... https://www.brewersfriend.com/brewing-water-target-profiles/
Short of that you could try a yellow balanced profile.

Last edited:
A recommended target water profile for brewing a Belgian Tripel generally consists of the following characteristics:

Calcium (Ca): 50–100 ppm

Magnesium (Mg): 10–20 ppm

Sodium (Na): 0-50 ppm

Sulfate (SO4): 50–100 ppm

Chloride (Cl): 0-100 ppm

Bicarbonate (HCO3): 0–50 ppm

These values can be adjusted based totally on your unique recipe and preferred taste profile. Using Beersmith can help you calculate and modify your water profile to gain the best effects for your Belgian Tripel. Remember to think about the malt bill, hop additions, and yeast traits when making water changes for this style of beer.

Thanks to both of you. I’ll try creating my own profile with the information provided.

Back