• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recommended Way to Change Recipe ABV?

KB

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I have a published recipe I believe I'd enjoy. However, I want to lower the ABV as high ABV give me headaches.

I enter the recipe as published in BS. I am unable to change the ABV. I am able to adjust the recipe gravity, the recipe IBUs and the recipe SRM, but not the recipe Est ABV.

My question. What is the recommended way to change recipe ABV in BS?

BTW, this is an all grain recipe.

Thanks.

I recommend the following steps:
1. Make note of the Bitterness Ratio.
2. Click on the colored bar for Est. Original Gravity and adjust the OG to achieve the Est. ABV you want.
3. Click on the colored bar for Bitterness and adjust the IBUs to match the original Bitterness ratio.

This will keep the balance of the beer very close to the original.

Upvote 0
Generally to lower the ABV you just lower your OG (Adjust OG button works). As mentioned above you may also want to maintain the IBUs which will change slightly - just write down the original level and use Adjust IBU button to adjust it back.

Upvote 0
Appreciate the input. I did as suggested.
Original recipe SG 1.051, IBU 20.1, SRM 3.1, ABV 5.5. As an experiment I wanted an ABV in the high 4s.

Clicking the SG slider I changed SG to 1.045 (giving me an estimated 4.9 ABV). IBU were still 20.1. However, SRM changed to 2.9. I realize probably no one will notice an SRM change from 3.1 to 2.9, but this is just a test. Clicking the SRM slider, entering 3.1 and clicking OK, I get a BS popup "The color you have asked for cannot be reached with the current ingredients. Add some additional lighter or darker colored malts to provide a wider color range."

The BS popup about not being able to set the color is what normally trips up my attempts to adjust a recipe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As you say, no one will notice that small of a change in color. Even if it were a larger difference, you'd likely still be within the style guidelines. Remember, you are making a different beer. If you really want to match the color, you may indeed need to add a lighter or darker malt as the popup message indicates.

Upvote 0
I should also mention that picking a higher attenuation yeast will give you more ABV, as will using lower mash temperatures when mashing (light body mash profile).

Upvote 0
... as will using lower mash temperatures when mashing (light body mash profile).
Yes, true, light body vs full body mash temps, however, I was using recipe as published, including mash schedule, and was attempting to lower ABV.

Upvote 0
Back