• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

RECORDING SECOND RUNNINGS ON BEERSMITH

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey gang!
Just did a Pumpkin Barley wine and made a second running with the grains (without the pumpkin & spices) Is there anyway to record it? It wouldn't have the same grain readings or OG's, so I can't make a new recipe.
Is there any way to record second runnings with the design/recipe program? ???

If you didn't put the pumpkin in the mash, you could do what I did.  I duplicated the recipe for the grain bill.  Then when I took my second runnings gravity readings, (first runnings were 1.084 and second runnings were 1.030) I double clicked on the gravity scale where it predicted my 1.084 on the second duplicate reading.  This opens up a window, where you can type in the 1.030 in place of the 1.084.  When you close that window, your predicted S.G. will be the 1.030 that you typed in and your grain bill will be scaled down to show where the sugars came from for that second runnings.  If your beer from your second runnings turned out fantastic and you wanted to duplicate it, without having to parti-gyle, but just make that beer, you now have the adjusted grain bill in your second recipe.  You can now make that beer all by itself!

In addition, if you wanted to predict ahead of time what your second runnings would be, here are two links that discuss it.

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=62046

http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.2/mosher.html

Thanks! It's looking good.
OG1.065
FG 1.006
Going to bottle with DME to add a bit of body.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again
BB

You guys have me gears turning about trying this.  I've never done it and now I want to try.  I have a barleywine in my "recipes to brew" folder and now I'm thing about doing it all grain instead of using DME....

GO FOR IT! A good Barley wine is worth its weight in gold! Especially on those cold winter nights!
For the second running I am thinking of pasturizing blueberries and putting them in.

BILLY BREW said:
GO FOR IT! A good Barley wine is worth its weight in gold! Especially on those cold winter nights!
For the second running I am thinking of pasturizing blueberries and putting them in.

That sounds really good.  I really am thinking about this a bunch. It would be FUN!  I wish I could get some huckleberries.  I moved to TN from MT, where huckleberries grew wild all over.  It was nothing to go out and pick a gallon.

BILLY BREW said:

They're not that strong/dominant in taste or flavor, however the color is magnificent.

I was sitting all yesterday evening after work, trying to figure the math on a parti gyle English Barleywine and probably a pale ale.  It looks like I would almost HAVE to cap (add a bit more malt) the second running to give it a bump in gravity or I'd have a 2.5% second beer.  This brew would be really taxing the limits of my 10 gallon mash tun also.  I'd actually need 10.6 total mash volume to do it right. 

My wife must have thought I was nuts.  I was sitting in the bed, with my head in my hands, just thinking.  My gears were a whirring.  I think I've finally got my head wrapped around it though.  I may do this one next. 

to follow up...The second running turned out okay, but isn't something I would attempt with this recipe again. Not much flavor. Sort of like a macro, hmmm i guess I know how they make it so cheap now!

You do have to work it out.  When I started I was doing a lot of weird beers.  My first runnings usually went to a belain strong.  That generally has sugars added so you don't have to go crazy with the grain bill.  And I only had a five gallon MT so...

The second runnings I would also hit with some added sugar, but often I would also add some dark grains or crystal malt and "fortify" the runoff that way.  Also the sugars I was adding were not refined table sugar but were either raw sugars from strange places (dark unrefined palm sugar for instance) ;~) ot rymon syrup, so they also were flavor contributors.

I've moved to a 10 gal MT so I'm trying it out on beers with no adjuncts.

The other day I did a three way split.  It worked but #3 was a bit thin so...

Back