• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Secondary Fermentation in Cornelius Keg

barbender

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, I'm from Australia, we like our beer !!!. ( I mean we really do),  5 weeks a go I brewed a Northwest Ale, after fermentation I filled a 9.5 liter stainless steel cornelius style keg, I added the recommended amount of dextrose for the secondary fermentation, from memory it was 65 or 70 grams of dextrose, I dispensed a sample today and it had not gassed (or very very slightly).  At the same time I bottled a dozen pint bottles and the beer has gassed perfectly and the beer is magnificent, I used a co2 party cartridge to dispense the beer from the keg so there should be a layer of c02 over the beer, can I remove the lid and add more dextrose or should I start again and dump it.  I hate dumping beer.  At this stage I do not use a large co2 bottle and regulator setup to carbonate,that's coming later, regards to all,, keep on brewing !!!!!!!!

Was the keg stored at the same temperature as the bottles? If so, you may need to add more dextrose. No problem opening the keg and adding the dextrose as long as you purge the keg several times before swirling to mix the additional sugar.

barbender said:
Hi, I'm from Australia, we like our beer !!!. ( I mean we really do),  5 weeks a go I brewed a Northwest Ale, after fermentation I filled a 9.5 liter stainless steel cornelius style keg, I added the recommended amount of dextrose for the secondary fermentation, from memory it was 65 or 70 grams of dextrose, I dispensed a sample today and it had not gassed (or very very slightly).  At the same time I bottled a dozen pint bottles and the beer has gassed perfectly and the beer is magnificent, I used a co2 party cartridge to dispense the beer from the keg so there should be a layer of c02 over the beer, can I remove the lid and add more dextrose or should I start again and dump it.  I hate dumping beer.  At this stage I do not use a large co2 bottle and regulator setup to carbonate,that's coming later, regards to all,, keep on brewing !!!!!!!!

Greetings barbender - the first thought that came to my mind is that you may have a leak in the keg.  According to my calculations, 9.5L of beer would require only 30g of corn sugar to achieve a Carbonation volume of 2.4.  So, you added plenty of priming sugar.

So, if you?re able to apply pressure to the keg using CO2, than you might try adding 3-4 pounds of pressure and check for leaks around all the fittings and around the lid.

Hope this helps!  Good luck!

Added: the information I presented was calculated using BS2 mobile Carbonation Calculator. The volume of Corn Sugar is the recommended volume based on conditioning 9.5L in a keg.

Back