• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

secondary fermentation very active

sma

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm not new to brewing, but I've not seen this in the past.  All grain brewing Ale.  Same recipe I've used for at least 10 batches.  Ferment in the primary for about 7 days (this one was for 9 days as I was on vacation) then transfer to secondary for 7 days.  Been in the secondary for 11 days now and is actively bubbling.  I have not seen this in the past.  Same yeast strain.  Same temperature.  Very odd.

Any thoughts?

What was the gravity when you transferred?  Sounds like the yeast didn't floculate and the transfer stirred it up in secondary. 

Generally I don't measure the gravity when tranferring to the secondary... same recipe for so long and it's usually like clock work... after the seventh day in the primary the bubbling is dead, it will be 30 minutes or more between bubbles in the airlock.  I tend to agree that most likely the sugar wasn't done being converted.  Time will tell what the taste is like.

Back