• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

secondary temps.

H

hunter

what temperature is a good temp. to have your secondary in.sometimes my secondary is at room temp.because i usually have another brew in the primary in the same room.is this to warm to get the suspended yeast to fall and has anyone put there secondary in the fridge if so how cold is the fridge and how cold is to cold.i am also thinking about putting my secondary under the house where it is nice and cool.

I secondary the same temp I fement at.  Around 65 because my basement is around 65.  I have never had a problem.

Don

I secondary all my ales for 2 weeks in my refrigerator at 45 degrees. It seems to make for a much smoother and cyrstal clear beer. I bottle or keg strait from refridg without any warm-up.

after two weeks in fridge doe's that effect how long it will take to carbonate the bottles.i read somewhere that a brewer said after cold storing for two weeks in fridge it took four weeks and the bottles were just starting to carbonate.i like the idea of cold storing in fridge but i'm worried about there being enough yeast left to carbonate the beer,i like a good carbonated beer for my lighter brews.thanks for the replie's.

To have this question answered, I believe you really need to state the type of yeast you are using and also matters how long you wish to condition it.

i use coopers dry yeast,2 weeks in fridge,i'm not sure of what temperature to set my fridge at as well.

This is what I would recommend, since you are using an ale type yeast and are bottling. Copper yeast temp range is 62-72F. I would continue to stay in this range to prevent any off taste of high temps and to keep the yeast from going dormant with lower temps. If the yeast go dormant you will not achive full fermentation. After achieving your FG, cold crash the beer to near freezing for a week (longer the better). Then raise temp to desired yeast temp and bottle. Store in the same temp range to achieve a good carbonation (at least 2 weeks). Then store as cold for a period of time and should even clear even more.

Back