• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Self priming Siphon gizmo

CR

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I use the old stand by of filling a tube and  pinching it to get a siphon started.
I find it a tad splashy as in I always make a little bit of a mess.
Call me a slob.

I made a rather slick pull pump from some 1" copper tubing, a rubber ball as the  plunger,  two copper end caps one drilled and tapped to take a brass fitting I soldered in,  with a shaft,  and a slick little turned elm knob handle that pulls the wort into the hose and then I use a Line clamp to lock it while I attach my ( whatever I'm using ) tool.  The 1" copper pipe's length was calculated to just be enough to draw on the hose  I have on my racking cane.  I rather like this solution It's both elegant and I got to make a tool. 

Today I bought this $6.50 thing-a-ma-bob at Lowes. 
It's 6 feet of blue poly tubing with a copper fitting crimped on the end with a glass ball trapped inside the copper fitting.  The ball rattles back and forth.

The ball allows fluid in to the poly tube when you shove the  copper fitting end down into a body of liquid and locks the fluid in when you pull up.  A few push/pull cycles and you have yourself a perfect siphon as it forces the fluid up and through the tube.  The flow is quite good.

It is called the "Wonder Pump"  by American Specialty Mfg' Inc.  ( never heard of them before)  It's a wonder it survived the patent process 'cause it's so simple and easy I'm surprised no one thought of it years ago ( as in a hundred years or more).  Well they claim it's patented. I  suspect that's a false claim. It's just too stupidly simple.

I'll use it for my next bottling session.

Looks interesting, I will have to check it out.

Cheers
Preston

It sounds like the autosiphon which is worth it's weight in gold.

I hate spigots (blackmold breeders) and rack everything.

Back