• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Server offline or unavailable - Help

dtonkery

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Anyone getting this issue when trying to login to their cloud recipes? I cant seem to figure out what I have done, everything was working fine earlier today, but now I cant get into any of my recipes. The list will load up, but when i click on one, it wont open, then it spits back the error where the cloud servers are offline.

Thanks,
Dave

We have a server connectivity issue that started about 25 minutes ago (around 5:45 Eastern US time) at BeerSmithRecipes.com. The server itself is up and running but there was some kind of connectivity problem which I've been working with the webhost.

At the moment it is back up but I won't know the root cause until I can get a definitive answer from them. I'm going to standby and monitor it tonight until we get this resolved.

I’m getting the same problem in BeerSmith 2 in the bottom right hand corner it says Server Offline in BeerSmith application how can I fix this problem?

I’m getting the same problem in BeerSmith 2 in the bottom right hand corner it says Server Offline in BeerSmith application how can I fix this problem?
I announced over a month ago that we planned to perform a significant security upgrade at BeerSmithRecipes.com which would block access for legacy BeerSmith 2 users to the cloud. You can read the original message here:
https://beersmith.com/blog/2023/01/24/an-important-upgrade-message-for-legacy-beersmith-2-users/

I have not closed the upgrade program if you want to still take advantage of the discount.

The reason for the upgrade was very simple. BeerSmith 2, which was originally developed back in the 2011-2013 timeframe used an unencrypted connection to the server which meant that sensitive data could be easily compromised. BeerSmith 3 uses a secure connection and it was launched in 2018, and we added the web based version for most BeerSmith users in 2021.

While I kept this vulnerability open as long as possible (almost 5 years), we were starting to see accounts compromised so I had to make the difficult decision to move completely over to a secure connection for cloud and web access.

So while you can still build and work with local data in BeerSmith 2, you will need to upgrade to BeerSmith 3 to directly access the cloud storage and cloud search options from within the program.

If you click on the link above, I offered a 20% discount for BeerSmith 2 users (which I've left open for a few more days) if you want to upgrade.

Hi Brad,

That is the final straw, done with Beersmith.

"Starting to see accounts compromised", really?!?

At the same time putting a 15(!) recipe limit on Beersmith 3 - "One time Basic", locked to 3.1, 3.2, 3.x is that also because of vulnerability issues?
Will the release of Beersmith 4 make said customers lose acces to recipies as well?

Locking down recipes uploaded by users of Beersmith is not acceptable.

After making the "difficult decision", sob, sob, the least you could do is allow downloads from beersmithrecipes.com for Beersmith 2 users?

And, admit that the changes were made to cash in on community created content...

So long, and thanks for all the fish, Brewer's Friend it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_Long,_and_Thanks_for_All_the_Fish

• Anyone using BeerSmith 2 can continue to use it though BS3 was released in 2018 (5 years ago)
  • The major concern was that passwords were being sent unencrypted under BeerSmith2 and it is a real security issue.
  • The basic level is intended for those who don't use the web features much and wanted to have access to the desktop version
  • No recipes are locked down - you can login to your online BeerSmithRecipes.com account and get recipes stored there. If you can't let me know and I can recover them.
  • Despite what you think we actually regularly get attacked including DDoS attacks, spamming attacks and more sophisticated attacks on a dailly basis. I can send you the thousands of reports I get daily of people trying to break into the site if you wish.
  • We have had accounts compromised on the cloud.

Last edited:
Back