• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Session Tab - Please explain

pugalde

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,
The other day I had a brew day and i wanted to log everything in the session tab in Beersmith. I collected some samples and when I started to log everything back in the software and could not figure out what all the meassurements fields referred to.
I am not an english native speaker so I am quite lost with the translation of technical stuff. Can some one explain each field please? Or is there some file online or somewhere i can find that explanation?
Hope someone can help me.

I would recommend that you start here: http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/08/22/using-the-new-session-tab-feature-in-beersmith-2-3/

Once you read through that and if you have more questions, please do ask!

I read the article and I understood who to use it but my problem is thay I don't know what all those measurement are or when/where to take them from. Hopefully someone has done a quick guide to understand it better.
Thanks in advance

OK, let me go through it here.  I attached a screen shot of what I brewed this last Sunday so I can reference the numbers and you can follow. 

1st column:  Mash pH and Runnings

Measured Mash pH -- This is the pH of the wort I measured once I mashed in.  Sample was cooled to room temperature before taking a reading.  My measured pH was 5.26.

Sparge Runoff pH -- This is the pH of the last of the runnings from the sparge step.  I forgot to take it this time so I left it as 0.0.

End of Running Gravity -- This is the gravity reading of the last runnings of the sparge step.  Since I batch sparged, it is the runnings of the wort collected from the sparge step.  My reading was 1.033.

2nd Column: Mash Efficiency

Meas Post Mash Gravity -- This is the gravity reading of the wort collected (both initial runnings and sparge mixed together) in the boil kettle.  My reading was 1.061

3rd Column: Volume and Gravity in Boiler

Meas Pre-Boil Vol - -This is the volume of wort collected in the boil kettle, including any water or other additions.  I got 14.50 liters.

Meas Pre-Boil Gravity -- This is the gravity of the wort at the start of the boil.  Since I didn't have any additions of sugars, LME or DME after collecting the wort, it is the same number as the Meas Post Mash Gravity at 1.061.

4th column: into Fermenter

Meas Batch Size -- This is the amount of wort which made it to the fermenter.  I ended up transferring 10.6 liters into the fermenter.

Measured OG -- This is the gravity reading of the wort which was in the fermenter.  I entered 1.086 which includes both the wort which had been boiled down and a DME addition at the very end.

Next Line - 2nd Column: At Bottling/Kegging

Measured FG -- This would be the final gravity of the beer once it has completed fermentation and I an bottling it.  Since this just hit the fermentor, the reading reflects the target value at this time.

Meas Bottling Vol -- As above, this would be the final volume which was bottled (or kegged) and also reflects the target due to the beer currently being in process.

Hope that helps you!

Old Goat

Attachments

• session screen.JPG
    session screen.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 458
Great explanation. Just one question:
Mash pH. The sample you take was right at beggining of the mash, or at the end before you start pouring water for the sparge?

I take my reading at the end of mashing.  I have enough history with my water and salt additions to know that I will be in the 5.2 to 5.6 pH range depending upon the specific grist I am mashing.  I've measured the difference and taking the reading before is about a .07 to .1 unit higher than at the end.  If I take it too early (before I finish stirring) the reading is very unreliable. 

I would recommend aiming to make it consistent where you take the reading either early (wait at least 10 minutes) or after. 

Back