• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Shopping Cart Suggestions and a Minor Bug

SeanZZZ

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I plan several brews ahead and keep my inventory up to date.  I also use the shopping cart feature quite a bit by adding several recipes to make a big shopping list from my inventory.

Suggestion: From the My Recipes page, allow me to select several recipes and hit "Add to Cart."  As it is now, that option grays out when I select more than one recipe, and I have to select and then "Add to Cart" for each recipe.  I am constantly tweaking what I plan to brew, and I have to completely delete the cart and reenter all the recipes when I do.

Suggestion: More feedback after "Add to Cart" is hit.  If you misclick slightly and aren't sure if you hit it, you can end up adding to the cart twice.

Suggestion: Require confirmation for "Remove from Inv" from the My Recipes page.  You can imagine my annoyance when I hit the "Remove from Inv" inadvertently when I was aiming for the "Add to Cart" button :mad:.  Also, I'm scared if I hit "Undo" it will undo my last recipe change without me knowing, not fix the cart.  I haven't tested that.

Question/Suggestion: Can you print the shopping list?  (Particularly the ones where needed > 0?)  If not, I and my homebrew shop would appreciate it.

Minor Bug/Suggestion: Within the Shopping Cart the Shopping Item Report shows a "For Recipe: <recipe name>" for each item, but it only shows the last recipe entered even if several recipes use it.  A little table with each recipe and how much was in it would be even nicer.  It would be useful when you start substituting based on package sizes and available inventory.  Why buy an additional ounce of Spalt when 0.2 oz of Tradition in the freezer would do fine?

Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see a bug in what you describe. All you need to do is slow down and take care to hit the right buttons. Also, allowing you to add ingredients from several recipes at the same time would just increase the size of your errors.

As for changing what you plan on brewing, waiting until you've finalized your plan and then putting together a shopping list works well. Create a new folder and copy the recipes you plan on brewing into it. When you change your mind, make changes in that folder. When you're ready to order, create your shopping list. It take 2 seconds or less per recipe to click on the recipe name in the folder and then click on add to cart.

Nah...the only thing I would even marginally call a "bug" is that the Shopping Item report in the shopping list doesn't show all of the recipes an ingredient was in -- it only shows the last.

The rest? That's just how I work.  I don't want to use folders, because I want to see what I am going to brew and what I already brewed without switching back and forth.  I just use future dates to plan. I am constantly tweaking both recipes and the brew dates to use up what I have and to maintain limited inventory space. 

I find the shopping cart to be an incredibly useful tool for deciding what to brew based on what I want, what I have, and whether I have enough of my wife's favorites.  I delete everything and remake it every time I change something (I have eight brews planned at the moment).  When working today, I suspect I redid it six times or more, and that's what inspired me to come over here and post.

I see a big difference between the "Add to Cart" and "Remove Inv" buttons: the latter is an irreversible deletion that could cause inventory to be off potentially without you knowing; the other can easily be remade from the recipe list.  I'd very much prefer to see a Yes/No confirmation dialog for the removal, at least when doing it from the My Recipes tab. 

Similar idea with adding multiple recipes -- mess that up and it's a minor annoyance to delete and redo. Do it to your inventory, and it's time to break out the scale.

Back