• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

"Shopping List" Does Not seem to Represent Actual Shopping List

HeyNoPie

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm not sure the shopping list truly represents what needs to be purchased.  For example, suppose I have a recipe consisting of 10lbs of pale malt and I have 2lbs in my inventory.  This would mean that I must purchase 8 additional pounds to brew this recipe.  When I add this recipe to the shopping list, it shows "amount" 10, "inventory" 2, and "needed" 8.  I can tell that when I go shopping I need to buy the "needed" amount of 8.  I think there are better ways to represent that, but I can handle it.  The problem though is that when I click "Add to Inventory", it adds 10 (the "amount") to my inventory rather than the 8lbs I needed.  That doesn't seem very intuitive to me.  If I adjust the "amount" to 8 (the original "needed"), the "needed" then changes to 6 which is even more confusing.

I'm really not clear how the shopping cart and inventory are supposed to be used.  Beersmith aside, if I were to buy groceries as an example, I am only concerned with items and quantities I need.  At the time I am making the purchase, I just need to know I need 2 more items and when I get home, I will then have 2 more than I did before.  There really is no distinction between what I need and what I will buy.  I buy what I need.  The Beersmith concept of buying an amount other than what I need (separate fields for "amount" and "needed") doesn't make sense to me.

In addition to the confusions above, creating a shopping list for a recipe where I already have some ingredients will add ingredients I have to the shopping list.  If I have 10lbs and need 10lbs, why would I want to go buy 10 more pounds?

Overall, I've found BeerSmith to be a powerful tool, but I'm quite disappointed with how this inventory is handled as the inventory feature was a key differentiator for me compared to the other free tools for recipe formulation.  If I had realized this behavior earlier today, I'm not certain I would have purchased Beersmith.

Does anyone have any insight?  Am I misunderstanding something?

Hi,
  The system worked off the "amount" field in BeerSmith 1 for many years, and no one ever suggested we change it.  However I can certainly see how it might be nice to have the option to move over the "needed" amount instead, so I've added this to my list to add in a future version.  I would likely make it optional so you could use either system.

Brad

Thank you, Brad.  I hope I didn't come off as too much of a rant, but I just find the "amount" and "needed" values counter-intuitive.  In the meantime, my thinking is:

1- Print the shopping list to go shopping
2- Buy based upon the "needed" field (and buy any additional quantities by whim)
3- Enter actual purchased amounts into the "amount" field
4- Add to inventory

I saw a post from a long time ago suggesting that the "needed" column should be the difference between the amount a recipe calls for and the inventory on hand.  I partially agree with that.  I'm just not sure the "amount" and "needed" columns should maintain any relation.  If a recipe calls for 10lbs, I have 2, and buy 50, I didn't "need" 48lbs.  I only needed 8lbs when I added the recipe to the shopping cart and still only needed 8lbs at the end.  I just happened to have purchased 50.  To me, a "need" should only represent a differential between inventory and a recipe.

Does that make sense?

Back