• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Single Citra Hopped IPA?

Tchamberlin

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking of brewing a traditional or black IPA using only Citra for bitter/flavor/aroma and dry hopping. Has anyone done this or have any thoughts?  This would be a 5 gall, extract brew to bottle. My third ever brew. BTW-  I come across 1lb of wet citra hops.

Thanks,
T

The black IPA sounds quite interesting ..... I just brewed a all citra IPA (traditional-all grain) for a camping trip, and it was a camp favorite. Nearly finishd off the keg in 3 days (6 people). Love what Citra brings to an IPA!

88Q- do you mind sharing your recipe? I would love to your grain bill/hopping schedule ect.

Thanks

Sure thing  here it is..... Notice that I didnt even add the first hops until late boil. Still plenty of bitterness, and really allowed the citra to shine. Not really an IPA, but surprisingly many thought so. Great summer beer! (BTW: forget the yeast cake entry - didn't take so I added dry yeast)

Lemme know how yours turns out!

Attachments

• Citra Blonde.bsmx
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,204
This was the best beer made accidentally...had the wife helping and she poured in the whole 1lb of chocolate malt instead of the 3oz i was looking for.

Attachments

• Brown Bag.bsmx
    362 KB · Views: 406
I've brewed this one a few times but it's more of a pilz than an IPA. Either way it's a tasty Citra brew.

Attachments

• Citra.bsmx
    21.6 KB · Views: 356
My girlfriend loves IPA's and citra hops, so I came up with a recipe that we love

Mash Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.6 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.8 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.9 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.9 %
Boil Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 22.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 7 20.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 13.5 IBUs
0.75 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 12.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

I too have an IPA AG recipe that I've come up with using Citra and Cascade.  The last two batches the Citra just hasn't shined through at all.  The only difference is I went from using Pellet to Leaf.  What form of Citra Hops do you use?

What's Black IPA? I thought it was Cascadian Dark Ale. JK, don't want to hijack the thread  :) I've used Citra hops in a similar dark ale recipe with belgian yeast. The results were interesting. But, the more I let it age the more the flavors mellowed out. Sometimes I don't like using citra because I just end up smelling my beer all day and forget to drink it lol!

@happy hour... I agree.. I smell my beer too much, but the aroma is just fantastic with Citra.

I did an all Citra hopped IPA and it turned out great, I've gotten a lot of good feedback on the flavor. I did not dry hop though

I just stumbled across this topic and I have to say that I wondered about the same thing, I really like flavored beer from time, but since I'm newbie when it comes to brewing :) I want to try to make a beer with a white chocolate flavor. I don't know if it's possible. Has anyone experience with this?

One of our local club members brought in a all Citra IPA to our meeting last Saturday evening that was really tasty.  I would like to try a Pale Ale with it.

Back