• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

soft water

BrewCat

Brewer
Reaction score
My well water is quite soft so for years had no problems clean styles or any styles for that matter. Started playing with adjustments a few years ago to just see where it went. Often I'll pick a simple profile offered by the recipe software but lately I've been looking for advice for particular styles on the internet. What do you all do?

Whatever works for you. Many brewers produce good beer with minimal water adjustments, often only CaCl and/or CaSO4. Some create their own profiles and others use the profiles that come with BeerSmith. You do want to avoid profiles for geographic locations though. It's seldom that a brewery uses their local water as is. The profiles included with BeerSmith work well, including the color/body ones.

My water has way too much sodium to brew with, so I start out with RO. I've entered profiles for the styles I brew most often and use the BeerSmith profiles for everything else.

Last edited:
Ill look into saving the profiles I create. I agree less is more just trying to find the sweet spot

Back