• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Splitting batches

4himarks

New Forum Member
Reaction score
My Buddy and I like a variety of beers, but we are the only beer drinkers in our respective households, so split everything we brew. We have been using an 18 gallon Anvil to make 10 gallon batches which we then divide between 2 fermenters and thence to a bunch of 2.5 gallon kegs. At first we would only make small, subtle changes, like changing yeast and dry hopping between the 2 fermenters, but now find ourselves wanting bigger changes. Is there a way to design two recipes in Beersmith 3 to reflect this?

E.g. start with a recipe for 10 gallons of a lager, but rack off half to fermenter 1, then hop the heck out of the other half and boil some more to make an IPA for fermenter 2? I tried copying the recipe over and modifying it, but either the gravity or IBUs or both are off.

You would probably just make the mash/initial portion the same for both batches but with half the volumes/ingredients. Since you are splitting at fermentation, the OG should be the same for both.

Upvote 0
Back