• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

starter adventure

SleepySamSlim

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
OK - I'm officially moving from keep it simple (just dump the yeast in) to doing starters. Using Palmer and another book I believe I have a workable simple process for dry yeasts.

I see more variability in liquid yeast prep. The one constant is doing a mini-wort using DME and getting close to your brews SG. Beyond that lots of variability:

Volume - I've seen this range from one pint to 2 quarts. BeerSmith has an article ranging from 1.5L to 2L

Time - ranges from 24 to 48 hours

Adjuncts -- some add extra yeast nutrients or yeast "vitamins", some add a little hops as a preservative

decant -- some just toss the whole 2qts in, others decant some of the mini-wort and toss in the slurry

I guess as to volume, it could be 1L to 1.5L for basic Ales --- 2L for darker and HG ales ...

Comments / conclusions welcome

SleepySamSlim said:
OK - I'm officially moving from keep it simple (just dump the yeast in) to doing starters. Using Palmer and another book I believe I have a workable simple process for dry yeasts.

I see more variability in liquid yeast prep. The one constant is doing a mini-wort using DME and getting close to your brews SG. Beyond that lots of variability:

Volume - I've seen this range from one pint to 2 quarts. BeerSmith has an article ranging from 1.5L to 2L

Time - ranges from 24 to 48 hours

Adjuncts -- some add extra yeast nutrients or yeast "vitamins", some add a little hops as a preservative

decant -- some just toss the whole 2qts in, others decant some of the mini-wort and toss in the slurry

I guess as to volume, it could be 1L to 1.5L for basic Ales --- 2L for darker and HG ales ...

Comments / conclusions welcome

I think you about covered it Sam.  I am not sure what you are seeking.  But you do have the basics down well.  Good luck.

It's pretty much up to the brewer. Make what your equipment allows and you feel comfortable with.

Cheers
Preston

I think you about covered it Sam.  I am not sure what you are seeking.  But you do have the basics down well.  Good luck.
[/quote]

Guess I was just seeing if my general view of the process was complete ... As I did on the dry yeast approach (which I'll test this weekend on a re-brew of our first batch) I'll take the middle path and then adjust as needed.

Back