• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Style problem or change? Style 17A

redbone

Brewer
Reaction score
Did Style 17A change from 1.3 to 1.4?  Or is something corrupt?

I have an older recipe created in 1.3.  Style 17A says that it is a Bavarian Wheat.  In 1.4 17A is a Sour Ale.

Is this now the new style?  Where did Bavarian Wheat go?

Hi,
  The BJCP published a new style guide in 2008 and renumbered many styles.  See http://www.bjcp.org/index.php for details.

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks for the clarification. I know they are the "experts", but I'm not certain I agree with the change from 17A to 15A.

the old 17A Bavarian Weizen (Weissbier) from style guide BJCP 1999 I believe is a better description of hefe AG that I make.  The update to the new 15A puts what I've been making in a 15B Dunkelweizen category.  I've not had a true measurement of my efficiency, but maybe this is the cause of this.  If I reduce efficiency to 70% from 75% it puts it back in line.

Keeping it simple to an extract recipe I can't seem to get the abv to match the og with the new 15A style.  17A was achievable.

After the styles are defined, numbered, and accepted... why would they go back and re-define these?  IMO, its kind of like going back and saying that 1 gallon isn't a gallon anymore.  The "new" gallon is actually .9 of the old.   I just don't get it.

Back