• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Style slider for carbonation?

bsdx

Apprentice
Reaction score
OG, IBU, Color and Est ABV have graphical representation of their values according to the selected style, but the Carb Level is only a single value with a dot next to it to tell you if it is appropriate or not.  In Beersmith 1.4 it showed a range of volumes based on style info and let you enter a number.  Is it worth adding a red/yellow/green/yellow/red slider for style carbonation or at least an on-screen style suggestion rather than just the colored dot?  Thanks.

Hi,
  I thought seriously about this and actually had it build into an earlier version.  However there were some problems - most notably the style guides don't always have strict limits on carbonation.  The other (bigger) problem is that many native styles such as English ales are traditionally served at very low carbonation.  While this is fine in England, I was afraid that many US brewers would blindly follow the guide and get what most Americans would perceive as "flat" beer.

I know the above may sound a bit silly, but many beginning brewers really don't know 1.0 volumes from 3.0 volumes, and tend to do what the software tells them.  So I decided not to put the carbonation slider in the final build.  Also - as noted above, the BJCP does not publish strict carbonation guidelines with their guide so the ones in BeerSmith are best estimates based on beer styles local to that style.

Brad

Back