• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Tapped BRAD'S Wit beer

W

wbc_leelee

well I finally kegged the wit on friday and today I tapped the keg. Boy I now know what everyone raves about. hats of to brad this recipe is great and the beer is unreal. I used white labs belgium wit II yeast and this has got to be the most active ferment I have ever seen, the flavor from this yeast is great. I have a bottle of hoegaarden wit in the fridge,I will wait until next week to age my keg a little more then do a side by side, I'll let you know the results.
Regards
Andrew

Honestly I need to give credit to a local gentleman named Jay Russ who started me on Wit and gave me a recipe from which my Wit recipe was eventually derived.

He was the one that introduced me to this great style...

Cheers!
Brad

Unfortunately my variation of Brad's wit beer did not turn out well...the taste is musty, too potently coriander I think.  I used Brewferm Blanche yeast which took the OG of 1.047 down to 1.005 in 10 days. Kegged from primary and tasted-- barnyard and B.O. Taste is actually better than aroma, but all in all a big disappointment. The beer looks great but yuccc...

My nephew made an extract batch the same weekend but he used .2 oz instead of Brad's .7.  He says his is great. Wish I had done that.

BTW I dislike a strong cilantro taste in food. Had I known they are related I might have rethought my beer selection. My own darn fault there.
Mark

breibrew said:
Where is the recipe, I'm looking for a good Wit recipe?

Here it is--an all grain recipe on the beersmith website:
http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_367.htm

BTW--I have realize the bad smell is sulfur. I am hoping it goes away. I am wondering if this is a product of the Brewferm Blanche yeast I used.  I drank the beer outside while gardening and really enjoyed it--but I avoided taking a big whiff of the aroma!
Mark

Back