• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Trouble making clear beer

BrewCat

Brewer
Reaction score
was reading on another post about secondaries vs not. How many out there have trouble with making clear beer? I have more trouble getting certain styles to stay hazy long term.

I agree, most beers will clear over time, especially in a cold keg. Even my hefeweizen will clear over time which is probably why the Germans bottle it with the yeast and then shake it up before serving.

Generally speaking, clear beer is a combination of filtering, fining agents and time and temperature. An undisturbed beer will eventually become clear if stored cold. My most hazy beers become clear after some months. Generally speaking, I strive for clear beer though an IPA with hop haze is OK with me. Eventually my hop hazy beers become clear though I like to kill the keg before that happens. The beautiful hop aromas and flavors diminish more rapidly than the beer clears.

I forgot to mention my two part series on clarity - while it was not intended to create hazy beer it can help identify the causes which you can then use to your advantage:

I forgot to mention my two part series on clarity - while it was not intended to create hazy beer it can help identify the causes which you can then use to your advantage:

yes I got that article. If I want a clear beer like a lager or cream ale even my American wheat or summer ale I do a bit longer boil to get the hot break down then add some seawead to the boil strain going into the fermenter and cold crash. most of the time thats enough. for a hazy ill forgo the seawead and free float the hops no straining or cold crash. I call it sloppy brewing :unsure:. I have bottled my Heff but I'm lazy so I have one now ready to keg so We'll see what happens

What a nice material, thanks a lot!!!

Back