• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

trying to fully understand the term conditioning

perfection

Apprentice
Reaction score
May i understand how exactly this term is used,,,,,
Is it simply the natural carbonation of beer in tank/can/bottle/cash?
Would forced carbonation be a part of conditioning?
Does the term cover ALL what the yeast does to the green beer in the secondary?
What about clarification to minimize temporary haze?

Thanks

To what extent is a beer carbonated in the secondary without counter pressure - would it be 1 atmosphere logically?

Yeah. Conditioning is frequently used to describe different processes or the same process differently ;)

Preceded by "bottle" usually and should always mean carbonated in the bottle. E.g. Bottle Conditioned. During the process it is referred to bottle conditioning. I've never heard anyone use conditioning to describe forced carbonation.

Sometimes, it is used to suggest the beer is aging or lagering as in cold conditioning. Though lagering is usually used to say it is cold aging a lager style beer, but lagering is a term for any beer being aged cold.

Not to be confused with crashing which is a conditioning process to quickly chill a beer to encourage large particulates to coagulate and drop out of suspension and settle to the bottom in an effort to have a clearer finished beer. Usually in a fermentation vessel but could be a keg with a layer of gunk at the bottom. I've heard it used in this context as well.

So, conditioning is a term used for various processes to carbonate or clarify or age or prepare for a next step for the beer.

:D

My understanding of the term "conditioning" has always been the process of naturally carbonating a beer in bottles, where the yeast remaining in suspension ferments a small addition of sugar to provide a desired volume of CO2. I have never heard the term used to refer to forced carbonation.

This is in contrast to "bulk aging" where a beer is aged long-term in a fermentation vessel, prior to packaging.

Simply put "conditioning" means giving the brew a chance to settle before packaging (bottling, kegging).

Some condition by putting the brew in a very cold location. Additionally, some, condition by fining with plain gelatin. What does this achieve? Clears our homebrew. By "clears" I'm not writing about making clear. I'm writing about presenting professional looking homebrew vs a turbid mess.

Back