• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Two step mash with different grain amounts for each step

jabraben

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I need to do a beta glucan rest, then a sacc rest. Trouble is I only need to do a beta glucan rest on one malt before adding the remainder of the grains for the sacc rest. A mash with different water/grain ratios is possible in Beersmith but different grain weights for different mash steps isn't. Unless somebody has some nifty trick I haven't thought of, I guess I could just calculate the first rest with the one malt only at my preferred water/grain ratio, then, as a separate grain bill, calculate the second rest with all the grains at my preferred ratio for the sacc rest. Then I'd have to subtract the first infusion from the second infusion and use that as my second step infusion but maybe use boiling water and easy does it till I get to my sacc temp. Anybody have better ideas?

The glucan rest can be done with the entire malt bill. BeerSmith won't separate one mash grain from the others. However, you can add a Misc "ingredient" for the mash that is a note to yourself that the first grains in are getting a glucan rest. You'd then use the infusion tool to set that mash step for the water and grain needed. When entered into the main recipe simply add the water volume and temperature shown in the infusion tool but realize the recipe will show an extraordinarily thick mash ratio and a non sensical temperature. When it comes to your next infusion temperature you'll add grain with the water, of course, and the mash should line up with the recipe prediction.

Upvote 0
As others have mentioned I do not have a way to add different amounts of grain to different steps. Most brewers complete the mash with the entire grain bill.

Upvote 0
Thanks all. I recognize it's an unusual situation. I've got a pale ale malt grown locally that is high in beta glucans. I need the rest to reduce the odds of a stuck mash and to improve my efficiency. The trouble is, I really don't want the rest of the grains to go through the same rest or it will alter their contributions, especially for a hazy. I could forego the rest altogether but then my efficiency drops a lot, like 8-10 ppg and I might end up with the haziest hazy that ever hazed.

Upvote 0
Back