• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ultimate Hop Hourglass IPA

C

cj_in_j

You wanted hops, you get hops! This was an experimental IPA where I tried to add hops at every imaginable phase of the brewing process (with the exception of dry hopping, which is really part of the fermentation process). The result was a fantastically wonderful beer, a hop head's dream. Let me know if you have any questions.

==========

Ultimate Hop Hourglass IPA
All-grain, 5.5 gallons, 62 IBU, 7-8 SRM
OG = 1.062, FG = 1.015
80% mash efficiency

Grains
-- 8.97 lb Crisp Maris Otter malt (75%)
-- 1.05 lb Weyermann light Munich (9%)
-- 0.29 lb Weyermann light wheat malt (2.5%)
-- 0.33 lb Weyermann carafoam (2.5%)
-- 0.32 lb Weyermann carahell (2.5%)
-- 0.32 lb Dingemans caravienna (2.5%)
-- 0.65 lb Weyermann melanoidin (5%)
-- 0.13 lb flaked barley (1%)
Hops
-- 0.75 oz each Amarillo, Liberty, Centennial whole (sparge hops)
-- 1.75 oz each Amarillo, Liberty, Centennial pellet (mash hops)
-- 0.5 oz each Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial whole (first wort hops)
-- 0.5 oz Simcoe (10.7%) (60 min)
-- 2 g Hop Blend (6.3%) every minute from 60 to 1 min (alternatively add 20 g/0.75 oz for 55, 45, 35, 25, 15, and 5 minutes)
[Note: hop blend consists of 1.5 oz each of Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial whole]
-- 2 oz Hop Blend (6.3%) (hopback)
[Note: hop blend consists of 0.67 oz each of Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial whole]
Yeast/Other
-- 0.5 oz Burton salts in mash
-- 0.5 ml acid in HLT
-- 1 whirlfloc tablet (15 min)
-- 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient (15 min)
-- Wyeast 1026 British Cask Ale (recommend at least a 2-liter starter or fresh slurry from previous fermentation)
-- 2 oz candi sugar or corn sugar for priming in corny keg
Mashing
-- 11.35 gallons water (3.6 gal mash, 1.5 quarts x 2 infusions, 1.5 gal foundation, 5.5 gal l sparge)
-- 150F for 60 min (with two infusions to maintain temp)
-- 170F for mash out & sparge
Instructions
The night before brewing, heat all dechlorinated brew water up to 170F, then run through hop back with 0.75 oz each of Amarillo, Liberty, and Centennial whole hops. Let hopped brew water stand in covered containers overnight. On brew day, mash grains and Burton salts as above, using hopped brewing water. Add 1.5 quarts boiling hopped water after 20 min and 40 min to maintain temp. Heat to raise temp to 170F for mash out. Add mash to 1.5 gal hot foundation hopped water in lauter tun. Let mash settle for 10-15 min, and recirculate until runoff is clear. Sparge with 180F hopped water treated with 0.5 ml acid to collect 7.75-8 gallons of wort (expect to lose more wort than usual because of the massive amount of whole hops used).
Total boil is 80 min. Follow hop and other addition schedule above. After boil, cool to 68F. Start aeration while transferring to fermenter. Check gravity and then pitch yeast slurry.
Ferment at 66-68F for 4-6 days. Rouse yeast twice a day for two days after fermentation starts slowing down, then cool fermenter to 50F or under for one day. Transfer to corny, prime with candi sugar/corn sugar, condition at fermentation temps for 6-8 days, and then condition in fridge at least 3 days before drinking.
Tasting Notes
One week after kegging, flavor was somewhat sweet but balanced with a nice bitterness and an outstanding hop flavor and aroma. One month after kegging, beer was crystal clear and had lost some of its sweetness, but none of its flavor and aorma!

That's more hops than I've ever added to a beer!

I assume its still drinkable?

Cheers!
Brad

Still drinkable!?!?!?! That's an insult!  :mad:

This beer is the nectar of the Gods!  8) It really really is. If I was home right now, I'd have one just to show you.  ;)

I hope you understand I was just joking!  :-[

No insult intended - in fact what an incredible recipe for the hopheads out there!

For anyone who missed my malformed joke - CJ happens to be one of the world's foremost authorities on IPA's and his beers are (literally) known the world over as some of the best hoppy beers on the planet.

I highly recommend any of his recipes.

Hop on CJ!

Cheers!
Brad

Of course I know you were joking -- that's why all the smilies! No need to apologize (maybe I should for my overly aggressive joke  :-[) -- and I really did mean it that I was going to drink one when I got home just to show you. In fact, I just got home and I'm on my way to pour one right now -- so there!

Really, I wish every hophead could try a pint of this -- I could open a brewery financed with just the advanced order! Maybe if I get to the HBA Homebrewer's Conference, I'll bring you one (you meaning Brad, not every hophead! ).

Oh, and I'm not sure about the worldly praise, but I'll take it! Actually the other day I did see one of my earlier IPA recipes with a request for "comments on my recipe" by the poster -- kind of POed me, but I'm such a nice guy that I just drank another pint and went on with life.  ;)

Back